Help with a plug read?..

Jeb Zinewicz /

Just re-installed my a55 airsal kit with correct head gasket and after re-breaking it in slowly I'm now trying to get the correct jetting. Purchased a new NGK BR8HS plug, gap is around 3.25", current main jet is 76, idle 40 and 211 diffuser. The plug is pretty dark but not overly dark but I'm not seeing any carbon markings on the metal head casing? Does that mean it's too hot? Trail tech head temp was reading 275 F max. I'd rather it run a little rich right now until it's fully re-broken in.

Thanks!

Re: Help with a plug read?..

Overpriced Parts /

That's not a plug chop/reading

That's a all around plug reading/in there for days.

A plug chop is done with the engine warmed up, go full throttle for about a half-mile, and shut it down and read the soot line way below. Google plug chop because that isn't one your showing

Shut it down WHILE still running, then stop the bike. You are trying to get a snapshot of the bike at the moment you were pushing with the throttle wide open, not after you've slowed down and the plug self cleaned, then covered itself in fresh mix again.

That's what you are looking for when chopping plugs. A mixture ring.

Those rings were created with a loop around a 1 sq km block almost all at full throttle.

Varied throttle positions will mess up your reading as will most automatic clutches. So you wont ever get it perfect on a ped, most plugs are going to be hard to read without a good light, or chopping down the plug.

great picture, nice contrasting heat range examples.

but why such a difference in heat range plugs E?

to the OP, reading a plug, while worthwhile, is like looking at the entire map of your route, and siezing at one particular intersection

Once I was making rings... I wanted to see the differences.

Resistor, no resistor, heat ranges, those two show the rings the best in the photos

what I found interesting is that I did not see much of a difference in the ring width between heat ranges, at least close ones.

Emerica what did ya cut the metal with?

A hacksaw is pretty hard to do.

Overpriced Parts /

Angle grinder with cut off wheel very easy

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account