Decided to keep my ZA50!

So I've decided to keep my ZA50 on my '78 MKII and after I get all moved out to NM in a week and a half, I'll start taking the engine a part to rebuild it. I took the trans cover off and it looks pretty clean in there. The rear wheel moves backwards so that is a good sign. Hopefully all I have to do is change the pucks.

I will also still be going with the 62cc Malossi kit, 19mm PHBG, stock points and gears, KN filter, and an Estoril exhaust. Hopefully that will allow me to cruise at 40 all day long

Here is a pic with the trans cover removed.

image.jpg

Re: Decided to keep my ZA50!

Replace seals, bearings, and gaskets... you're kitting it and building on it so why just half ass it?!

I can totally understand not wanting to dig deeper in to it if it aint broken. The pucks are important no matter what. If You're going to wait on the crank, I would stick with a 14mm bing. It will be hard enough on the small end, easier to learn on, and plenty quick up to the mid 40s. Also sprockets, ask me how i know lol. Unmodded estoril does keep the rpms down, but the hit is pretty hard.

gl

~M (edited)

Maciek Dub Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can totally understand not wanting to dig deeper

> in to it if it aint broken. The pucks are

> important no matter what. If You're going to wait

> on the crank, I would stick with a 14mm bing. It

> will be hard enough on the small end, easier to

> learn on, and plenty quick up to the mid 40s.

> Also sprockets, ask me how i know lol. Unmodded

> estoril does keep the rpms down, but the hit is

> pretty hard.

>

> gl

> ~M

If I do upgrade the crank (while replacing all the seals and bearings) which crank should I go with?

As for the gearing.. I don't have a dremel tool so I don't know what gears I could run.

If You're going to split the cases to do the crank bearings and seals You should definitely upgrade to a roller bearing small end rod while You're in there. The best option imo is to send Your crank in to Chris at mopedcrankworks (.com) and have him refurbish it with Rito rod (arguably best quality available). That way you will have the fewest shimming issues when putting it back together. It's also the cheapest option at around $65 plus shipping both ways.

You don't need a dremel to clearance the cases, a hand file will do, aluminium is soft, and you only need to do it for a 20+.

GL

~M

M, thanks for Chris's wen info I will be placing an order in the near future for the Rito roller crank.

All I have to do now is gearing.. Should I start with the stock gearing and go from there? Or do 19/?

Re: Decided to keep my ZA50! (Pics added)

Just drained the case and it looks like this plug has never seen a wrench!

image.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

I most mopeds I've got had but a few hundred miles on them. Most people get a moped then drive it for the first summer and then it sits for 30+ years.

My first moped a 1977 Italveno I rode into the ground putting 15,000 some miles in like in a year and 3 months/two summers. I had a motorcycle and a car but with the price of gas and other things like car insurance and repairs the moped was my choice ride in the late 1970s. Carry it up to my friends apartment, put it in the back of the van at a rock concert, put it in the back shipping ramp in the kitchen at a restaurant where I worked, bring it on a boat in Lake Erie, just took it anywhere and rode it anywhere. Most people bought a moped as a novelty and didn't realize the potential a moped can have.

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I most mopeds I've got had but a few hundred miles

> on them. Most people get a moped then drive it for

> the first summer and then it sits for 30+ years.

> My first moped a 1977 Italveno I rode into the

> ground putting 15,000 some miles in like in a year

> and 3 months/two summers. I had a motorcycle and a

> car but with the price of gas and other things

> like car insurance and repairs the moped was my

> choice ride in the late 1970s. Carry it up to my

> friends apartment, put it in the back of the van

> at a rock concert, put it in the back shipping

> ramp in the kitchen at a restaurant where I

> worked, bring it on a boat in Lake Erie, just took

> it anywhere and rode it anywhere. Most people

> bought a moped as a novelty and didn't realize the

> potential a moped can have.

I couldn't agree more. This is the exact reason why I bought one. I need wheels, am poor, and love riding/working on a two wheeled vehicle.

so, you're going to tear it all apart for no particular reason?

why don't you just get it running good stock ~ 40+ mph with a pipe, and proceed to ride the shit out of it for 20,000 miles.

Graham, I am taking it all apart as I have no idea when the last time it's been run. The last thing I want to do it get it running as is and it blows something.

My thinking is.. Well if I'm going to but a kit on it in the end, I might as well build it the way I fully want and save money in the long term. The kit I am putting on is very mild. This won't be a speed machine, just have little but more guts.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account