6-24v USB phone charger on a 81 QT50

My latest up grade. USB charger for anyone! Hooked a + wire to horn + and hooked a - wire to the front rack. Drilled and cut the plastic wire case in the front and a little hot glue. works great!

(edited)

IMG_20140622_173355.jpg
IMG_20140622_191810.jpg
qt50 phone charger.JPG

Re: 6-24v USB phone charger on a 81 QT50

Sorry should have put that link in. Thanks (edited)

Looks good! Be sure to report on how it holds up!

Thanks, I will keep that in mind as it is on my every day rider.

It specifically notes DC input (prohibition of AC). Good luck with that.

I thinks he's got a qt50 running dc, regulated by a battery.

OK now Im wondering? The QT50 will run without the battery so the CDI should be AC right? But if charger is wired straight to the battery it should be dc? Bike does need charge coil to run. Stock set up does use battery as a regulator.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

And how dose this make a moped go faster?

WFFF.

I overlooked the "to the horn". Even so, the DC is pulsing badly and sensitive electronics do not like that.

Sorry I didn't realize "performance" was limited to the engine and top speed. Thought it was for all performance improvements. Thanks

DPC Ryan Will the fact that I have added a voltage regulator help at all?

Or I'm I just waiting for it to burn out?

https://www.treatland.tv/6-volt-voltage-regulator-p/6v-voltage-regulator.htm (edited)

QT50 6v-voltage-regulator-2.jpg

A regulator does not rectify. Also, it should be regulating the AC to your lights, there should be no need to regulate the battery.

Good point I added the regulator to prevent the head light from blowing if the battery went bad or it lost connection while riding. Thanks, any suggestions to stabilize the current to the chip? Sorry Not that good with electrical. The bike does use a rectifier, But I wouldn't have a clue if that would make a difference with it wired to the horn? If the chip takes a crap it's only $7 but would like this to be reliable. Thanks

The battery does the best job of smoothing the pulses that you are going to get. I was reallyaspeaking in a worst case scenario matter. A voltage converter really is far less sensitive than, say, a 12v GPS or something feeding directly from the output. Your biggest problem if the device holds together will be an inability to power things consistently if the output cuts in and out as the battery voltage drops below minimum when idling.

You could add a capacitor.

Steve Smith Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You could add a capacitor.

And make it a big one with a 1/8th watt resestier shorting it so it wont unload and blow the smoke out of other things.

So as long as the bike keep the volts above 6 while the bike is at idle then charging a phone should be ok? The battery is 6v so if the bike is off it will charge a phone untill the bike battery dies. As long as the charge to the bike battery keeps the battery full when running & while charging a phone it shouldn't drop below 6v at idle? The stator voltage to the battery will vary a lot with revs but the volt out of the battery should stay pretty close to 6v right? Granted, there is a better way to wire this. Thanks for the helpful comments.

OK 45 min ride last night in town, phone was at 25% charge to start while running a GPS app and blue tooth and using the screen the phone ended with about 75% charge. So far so good. I guess I'll grab a meter today and double check my idle voltage. I believe it is 7v to 9v when running? Just trying to under stand it a little better elect is not my strong suit. Again thanks

matt boda1nz /

The battery acts as a cap and that thing has smoothing caps built in as well. Idle is like 7 volts plus. You're good to go.

You are mixing voltage and wattage. The bike may idle above 6v as is, but as you begin to increase the draw the voltage will drop. You need to see what the bike runs while the system is under load with your adapter attacked and powering a device. The batter will maintain a charging state while idling for a bit as long as the battery is receiving a charge while you are moving. However if your battery begins to discharge at idle and you stop and go frequently the voltage may creep down. That is not great for the battery.

Thanks I will double check the voltage with the load at idle. Didn't think to check while under the phone draw. But I think its going to be good to go, maybe just wishful thinking.

You put it on and didn't try it yet?

Plug your phone in, see if it works!!!!!

Or get one of these!!!

http://www.usbgeek.com/products/usb-disco-ball

Arlie Endsley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK 45 min ride last night in town, phone was at

> 25% charge to start while running a GPS app and

> blue tooth and using the screen the phone ended

> with about 75% charge. So far so good.

Still working great.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account