what about using the new 47 or 48mm pistons with the hobbit dr kits?

Hi I noticed they are now selling larger 47mm and even 48mm replacement pistons for the hobbit Dr kits. Much bigger than the 46mm piston these kits normally come with. How well do you think these would work ? Would this make the cylinders too thin or screw up the ports in some way? Or would it be ok with better port work? Thanks Tim

Re: what about using the new 47 or 48mm pistons with the hobbit dr kits?

The 47 would likely be fine, but I couldn't speculate on the larger. Overall I think it would be too much work to have to bore a cylinder you already paid for, and then buy a piston on top. At that point you have well surpassed the 47.6mm Athena, and still will not have the power without porting to the cylinder as well.

I was thinking of looking for a used Dr cylinder and boring it out to take one of those pistons. That with some porting and other mods might make a pretty good motor.

I've been using an unknown cast iron 47mm honda kit, that broke the skirt off of it's worn out piston. I found a replacement Malossi piston designed for a Mineralli vertical scooter kit. I just had to widen the intake window on the piston for a better match. This Meteor one looks like it has a wider window than the Malossi brand. I think it's great to have 48mm Honda options!

47mm honda piston cut.jpg

I'm thinking of doing this. I have a DR that broke rings and put a small scrape. Machine shop wants $75+$60 for piston= $135 for a basically new kit again. Athena is $195 and cracks the skirts on me. 48mm I measured would be quite thin! I'm not sure it would even survive the boring process.

I've done 57 mph on the 46mm DR and not that much more on the Athena. The Athena did have noticeably more acceleration.

Tim Hafer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was thinking of looking for a used Dr cylinder

> and boring it out to take one of those pistons.

> That with some porting and other mods might make a

> pretty good motor.

I will sell you one that threw a wrist pin clip just above idle if you want. I was going to hone, chamfer and throw another piston into it (easily) but if it goes to a good cause I will cut you a scrapper deal.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account