Blue clutch springs performance

I recently installed some of them blue springs on my v1 (city bike). I didn't practice the best method of removing my clutch because i didn't get the e50 puller. Nevertheless, I bent the outer plate of the clutch shoe, then finally got it off. I did my best to mold it back to its original shape, and i got it pretty close - starter plate sits nicely.

I put the blue springs on and installed the clutch. I did a quick install to just see the difference with the springs, so I didn't weld the pins. I am going to remove it again soon and do more work on it, but this is what I found:

It barely grabbed, maybe 50% of its stock speed. It was about 2x slower off the line. I have to push off completely before it slightly starts to accelerate.

What i'm thinking and hoping is wrong is that I installed the springs incorrectly; long side vs. short side. Or that my shoes are sticking in between the damaged shell. Does anybody have an idea about what could be causing a reverse in the performance of the blue springs?

Any help would be great, thanks all!

tl;dr blue clutch springs slower off the line than stock - slightly bent clutch shell

Re: Blue clutch springs performance

bent clutch shell

Yep. It's pretty damn important that the clutch housing is straight. I've been down your road before and it's no fun. There's a science to removing the clutch: time and heat. Go slow and in small increments, let it sit for a few minutes, heat it up, tap crank with a mallet, and repeat till it comes off. The housing is pretty hard to find too. I have two of them with the pins fused...if I ever end up getting the Hammer I'll post em FS.

Good luck

Okay, thank you, that's what i was kind of thinking. I've heard such great things from them that I knew something was wrong. They are supposed to make you accelerate faster right?

you will not make you ACCELERATE faster, they will just engage later. that's up to your pipe, etc. other factors.

++++ there only good for 700-1000 miles of everyday riding. what pipe are you running?

Damn, really? I've been going at it wrong the whole time? So what is the best way to get some punch?

I'm running an EV mamba, 15 dellorto

stock cylinder.. old crankseals? old piston rings? there is alot of factors you need to go over?

Yes, everything is stock except for the carb, and exhaust. I opened up the intake and exhaust on the block and I think I put a 11 tooth front sprocket on it, which I realize affects the acceleration a lot. So you think it could be bad compression?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account