Hobbit variator weights / combined weight

I have a stock hobbit variator with moped factory weights installed. The combined weight of my variator rollers is 24g. Can I go down to 6g per roller for a combined weight of 18 grams? Does that sound too light?

Re: Hobbit variator weights / combined weight

If you have 24g of weight, that means you're running a pa50i variator. The stock pa50ii weights are nearly double that. Unless you're running a kitted bike, lighter weights might keep you from variating fully.

Good rule of thumb is run the lightest weights possible weights while still variating fully. On well kitted hobbit with a 6 roller, 3.2 weights (there's 6 of them) seems to be a good spot. On a three roller that'd be 6.4g per weight. I have run 2.8g x6 with some success. So it's not too light if your engine can handle the revs.

Weights that are correctly sized for a stock three roller are hard to come by. Making you own would be a good bet if you wanna go lighter.

Totally normal JBOT /

No he isn't dummy

He said he has moped factory weights

Op: go as light as where the most power is.

If you overshoot (too light) , you just won't variate as fast or possibly as far

Jbot is right. I am running a PA50II variator. I have been running Garellis for years. I'm still getting used to hobbits.

Totally normal JBOT /

I'm running 5g (ish) on my hobbit engine on a notched stock vari.

But the engine is on a French style setup, so that's actually a lil heavy cuz I like mah frenchies to variate all the way easily and do launch lever party to hold her rpms up. Love that launch!

Keep playing with the weights til you are in the power most of the time.

With just a pipe my mopedfactory weights it would stall the transition and hang for about 5 seconds at high rpm before it would finally crawl up in gearing, any lighter wouldn't have worked at all. My ramps were perfectly stock with no damage and then I notched as well with no funky stuff. At that time if I can remember properly (I might be wrong) there were two different weights available, I took the lighter of the two. Once I kitted the bike the lighter weights became magical, because the bike made power at a higher rpm but also turned a much higher rpm in general.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account