soft seize? 78 garelli vip

Just got back from a 12 mile ride on my garelli. towards the end of the ride (luckily i was only about a half mile from home) i was cruising along at 28-30 when my engine slowed and stopped very quickly, causing me to coast to a stop. it sounded like what i would imagine a seized piston to sound like, which scared the shit out of me. kind of a sharp metal-on-metal noise. i coasted to the side of the road and let the bike cool off for a minute or two, then tried to kick it back over. it started right up, idling perfectly. did i experience a soft seize? if so, what can i do to prevent this from happening again?

bike stats -

1978 garelli vip 2 speed

all stock except cylinder and piston

dellorto sha 14.12

stock exhaust

mec eur 70cc kit, still in break in period. i have about 45 miles on this kit

thanks

Re: soft seize? 78 garelli vip

Christopher Jones /

what jet are you running? plug number?

68 jet, spark plug ngk b7hs

Overpriced Parts /

Yeah you seized from high timing, poor, tuning lack of breaking it in, you're supposed to run a head temperature gauge and keep it below 400°F. You should take it apart and inspect for damage because if you have a aluminum smear it will collect more/seize again.

Yeah take it apart clean aluminum smears with sandpaper or acid if your good check rings check the whole thing out

Just for reference, I'm running a 73 jet in a Dellorto 16.16 on a 2 sp vip w/ a Giannelli pipe and a single screen in the carb. I think your jet is small for a kitted vip.

simon thokaar /

Jim Adelberg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just for reference, I'm running a 73 jet in a

> Dellorto 16.16 on a 2 sp vip w/ a Giannelli pipe

> and a single screen in the carb. I think your jet

> is small for a kitted vip.

this... i too have the dellorto 14.12 an am running an 85 jet.. i used to run a 69, plug chop showed it to be fine, but my temps were too high so i kept going up till i liked the temps. Spend the 40$ on a temp gauge.. its cheaper than buying new kits..

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Probably got airleaks too but x2 everything Jim said.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account