MOPARTS RACING Twin Cylinder Vespa Ciao

Frederick vdL /

This is our latest project here at MOPARTS RACING / MOPARTS WEBSHOP.

We took over this awesome twin-cylinder Vespa ciao from a colleague of ours who doesn't have time to finish it off.

It's basically a two-cylinder Vespa Ciao, built around a stock engine, with an additional centre piece (CNC-machined) through which the crankshaft runs and on to which the reed-block is mounted.

The second case half (on the right side) is actually another large case half, but turned 180 degrees (facing backwards - you can see the original ignition bolt pattern in the second case half).

The crankshaft is made out of two crankshafts (with two big-ends), welded together (and re-centred). The pistons run in sync (both heading towards TDC at the same time).

More videos of the progress to follow as we build along.. :) first thing: exhausts need to be fitted in order for a test run.

(edited)

Re: MOPARTS RACING Twin Cylinder Vespa Ciao

wow, if there's one thing i love just as much as a good ciao, it's a boxer motor.

pretty awesome

Frederick vdL /

Quick walk-around vid...

Very cool. I am a twins fan also. Looks like you could go watercooled. Also that singular induction for the two begs for a single expansion pipe but getting it to not favor one cylinder over the other might take some massaging.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Did you do any collaborating with twinboxer@gmail.com?

such a terrible/great idea!!

can't wait to see it run

This is twinboxer. He acquired the motor from him and is continuing the build. Looks so rad. And it was water cooled already.

Holy shit. This is the same twinboxer engine ? Yes!!!

Frederick vdL /

No, I took over this project from somebody else, who also built the main pieces for the TWINBOXER engine (as seen in the video posted by Harvey above) - at least that's what he told me.

This one is different, it has a reed valve carb. in the center piece of the engine. The others have two carbs (piston driven) on their respective breaker points engines. This is an elec. ignition engine.

cray

that is awesome

Such an elegant design

Twin boxer originaly had the twin crank inducted carbs, but he redesigned it and milled the center block for reeds. You've had to have seen his build tread?

I'd be real worried about overheating that rear cylinder. The angle of the fins and the fact that it's kinda buried in the frame means you're probably going to get exactly zero air flow back there.

Maybe install a fan back there? Water cooling would probably be best though. Fucking awesome project though, seriously.

Frederick vdL /

Charlie,

Yes, I saw TwinBoxer's project. It was indeed a piston driven carburetor setup (two carbs).

The overheating still worries me too. Water cooling isn't really an option.

I'm already looking into a fan (electrical, one that runs on a battery). But it's going to need more than that. I was planning on redesigning the top and side panel by adding an air scoop. I may work with copper to pull heat away from the cylinder somehow. Lots to figure out!

Do water spray cooling! I can't think of anything cooler than a wonky boxer ciao blasting around in a cloud of steam.

I bet a scoop would be all good. Hell thats what a stock engine uses... Scoop fed by the fan.

Taken From the TwinBoxer Thread:

That... ^

He case inducted it before you obtained it from him.

Did somebody say there will soon bee a stabilizer x bar going in later?

I hope so.

Frederick vdL /

cheetahchrome . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did somebody say there will soon bee a stabilizer

> x bar going in later?

>

> I hope so.

It actually won't need one. The subframe has been stabilized sufficiently. It's extremely rigid.

All the points where the frame or subframe meet have been welded shut. A U-profile strengthening tube has been welded into the rear of the subframe (behind the lower fender, where the rear wheel passes by).

It's extremely rigid. What we may add is a strengthening bar that can be bolted on and off. We want to keep the looks as original/stock as possible.

not a Baron Asshole /

yea i hate crossbars on ANY moped, its supposed to be step-though!

Yeah, I don't like cross bars either. Even if they are nessiary...

Yolo

as long as you pay attention to where the tank is brazed to the stamped portions, it should be alright.

although... I think there was a bandit that had a cross bar and still taco'd a whole ciao. bummer.

jason wads got hit by a car on his pale yellow ciao, if that is what you're referring to... it was pretty good n' taco'd

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

nah, its sort of fixed, he has been riding it.

definitely no cross bar in jason w's yellow ciao FYI

Frederick vdL /

I don't think I posted this yet, some of you may have seen it, but here's a video from a while back when the engine first ran.

Bike is gradually being built up. Decided to first run it with stock brakes, but with the 17" plastic Bernardi Mozzi rims.

(edited)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

always love'in it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account