Urban Express...what should my first upgrade be???

Matt Grantonic /

I am close to getting my 2nd Urban Express (I owned one 30 years ago) and was wondering what my 1st performance upgrade should be. I'd like to hit the magical 40mph but not sure the most efficient way to get there..any thoughts?

Re: Urban Express...what should my first upgrade be???

A BX31 belt, and pipe.

Andrew Squiggman /

40 mph speedometer

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

notch the vario

Matt Grantonic /

Which pipe?

There are only two bolt on options, Weakends or MLM peoples. Well, the H95, but that is for big boys.

simon thokaar /

havent tried one on an urban yet, but the mlm pipe is amazing on an fa50.

Stephanie Rose /

MlM peoples!

Matt,

I have/had similar aspirations of around 40 mph.

My first upgrade was a bx31 belt and that took me from from stock 27/28 mph to 32 mph.

After that I put on a Uni pod high flow air filter, and the weak-ends pipe unit that treats offers. I upjetted to a 90 for my main after doing this. I then was topping out at 38 mph on flats consistantly but the life was sucked out of my low end.

I lightened my vario weights and have a new clutch on order that will take the 2k dio springs I bought. The vario weights helped my acceleration a lot, as will the new clutch I'm hoping. (DPC Ryan knows his stuff on these and helped me out quite a bit).

I'm still topping out at the same 38 mph, and I'm happy with it, but 40 would def. be nice so I'm contemplating more, but to get a little more I think I would have to go Kit.

Brandon you may try looking at your jetting. The combination of pipe and filter could need even more jet, mostly due to the filter.

Yes possibly...Here's something I'm experiencing (if this hints at too much/too little jet)...When the engine is cold and I'm first taking off it'll bog when I try to accelerate the first couple/few times so I have to baby it, then it takes right off and I have no problem the rest of the ride.

I have a Proma pipe for sale only been used one month and it took my express from 27 to 37. 80 bucks shipped.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Brandon C. Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes possibly...Here's something I'm experiencing

> (if this hints at too much/too little jet)...When

> the engine is cold and I'm first taking off it'll

> bog when I try to accelerate the first couple/few

> times so I have to baby it, then it takes right

> off and I have no problem the rest of the ride.

That's the auto-choke working. Leave it be.

Oh okay, good to know thanks Harvey...Yeah my plug reads a perfect chocolaty brown, so I'm saying I'm happy with my jetting (running 40:1).

Yeah the autochoke overshoots quite a bit, but if you didn't have that it would actually indicate lean, as the bike richens as it warms up.

how do you clean the autochoke??

Take it apart without destroying the seal, and clean but DO NOT bend it. Then lightly oil the bystarter filter. If you have to ask what the bystarter is without searching you are beyond help.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

adding bx31 belt = 2-3 mph

pipe = 7-10 mph

70DR = 6-7 mph

But those do not necessary stack on top of each other additively.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account