Hobbit only variates all the way on the stand.

I can only get my hobbit to variate all the way out when it is on the stand. When I am riding I can only get to here:

DPC Ryan said he thinks that my weights might be getting stuck while under load but I am not sure how I would fix that or even check to see if that is indeed happening. Has anyone else had this happen before? Anyone have any tips to get more variating out of this?

I have a Stock PA50II with a proma pipe and I did notch my variator and replaced my worn out stock belt with an BX40 that is all the way loose.

Re: Hobbit only variates all the way on the stand.

hmmm, could be too light of weights not pushing it closed enough. or maybe the BX belt is bottoming out in the rear before the front can close, but the belt will stretch just a little when its not under load? IDK i've never had a notched vario on a hobbit.

Shouldn't be because of too light of weights. Stock pa50ii have 42g of weight. I ran the lighter pa50i weights without issue, and they're 25g total. I suspect the belt, the bx40 isn't a good replacement. Try a ventico belt, that's the closest I found to stock. I think treats is out of them though...

Oh yeah, use some dry graphite lube on your weights if you think they're getting stuck. Check your ramps for defects and make sure your plastic bits on your weights aren't flat.

So I still have my stock belt. The problem is that it is super dooper loose. Would I be right in assuming that if it still doesn't variate under load with the stock loose belt, that the problem is not my belt?

Yes and no. The stock belt is narrower, and the taller gearing of the new belt may have a great effect on the pulley. But it is possible, so try.

if you have a bump in the ramp and it can't variate past that, it will cause that

hobbits are also really touchy about dirty points, if the points are dirty they won't make any torque but they still run and rev out just fine on the stand. it will drive you absolutely insane trying to fix it.

Graham Motzing Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if you have a bump in the ramp and it can't

> variate past that, it will cause that

>

> hobbits are also really touchy about dirty points,

> if the points are dirty they won't make any torque

> but they still run and rev out just fine on the

> stand. it will drive you absolutely insane trying

> to fix it.

Well cleaning the points is easy. I'll try that first. I do know that my ramps were very new and not misshapen so unless they've worn out in the past 20 miles I think I can rule that out.

A guy on facebook suggested that my rear pulley might not be opening all the way because of notches in my cam like this one in the wiki:

So I'll try that if cleaning my points doesn't fix it.

I'll try the old belt too but it isn't a long term solution because the thing is pathetic. (edited)

Running with no grease in my rear pulley caused that. But it would only rev extremely high for about 5 seconds and then SLAM open. But my bike may have been making a lot more power.

Kevin Bishop /

I am guessing you already maxed out the belt tensioner bolt.

Use the graphite, and lube your cam follower with lithium.

It has to be your ramps, maybe one is just a little off.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account