Breaking a Kitted engine in

Matthew Balentine /

Hello All,

Installing an Athena kit on a 1979 sachs m-4 hercules and want to know the proper break in procedures and any other tips that would help me out with the install.

Re: Breaking a Kitted engine in

Overpriced Parts /

300 miles at normal moped speeds

re break in, did you read the article in the wiki and search the forums? do you have a specific question? pretty much just jet it a little rich and vary the throttle position for the first few hundred, don't keep it in one place for too long, specially wot.

re sachs specific someone else might chime in.. (edited)

Zach McNally *UpJet* /

Heat cycle it a bit before you ride.( turn it on, let it run for a bit, turn it off, let it cool) when it cools tighten everything down a little to compensate for expansion.

Matthew Balentine /

Thank you all for your responses

The current setup I have now is a stock 505 engine with "A" jug with a 15mm carb and a peugeot SPX alsil performance aftermarket pipe. The kit is a Athena 50cc kit with double ring piston. For now I am also staying with the "A" 42mm crank. I know this is a pretty broad range question but what sort of gains and losses should I expect in performance going from current setup to the kitted engine?

my buddy has the 50cc athena with a puch proma and hes hitting 70km easily was still doing break in when he got in a accident that messed up the rear end of the ped hes since got it redesigned and is waiting on sealed bearings for his rims it should hit 80km easily. you will see alot of benifit if you replace the crank with the 44mm stroke

Matthew Balentine /

Thank you to all who chimed in, I will be installing the kit this afternoon.

Zach McNally *UpJet* /

Break her in easy!

as tempting as it will be to just blast full speed with your new found power be nice to the girl ;)

Bad Cadillac™ /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 300 miles at normal moped speeds

As Ken says. This is what the manf suggested as new so I would do the same for a kit.

break in like u stole it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account