Air filter recommendations?

Got my little '96 Targa LX buzzing along quite well - hits about 42 mph with the stock air filter (plastic box with thin foam element inside.) Stock with Biturbo exhaust (carb is brand new.) Wondering what performance-oriented filters y'all have been liking. Thanks!

Re: Air filter recommendations?

You highly unlikely hitting 42. If you are looking at the speedo, that is in "Tomos Speed". That said, I like UNI a lot. Be prepared to rejet your carb no matter what filter you pick.

Oh, I understand the optimistic readings of a moped speedo, Ryan. Just saying that it's healthy, and I'd like to make it breathe a bit better.

The point I was trying to make that might have been missed is that the stock air filter breathes more air than the stock engine can take in. The upjet is purely because you have changed the amount of restriction (ever so slight) that the stock air box creates. The reduction of restriction creates a loss of vacuum on the main jet, and so you must upjet. You are unlikely to gain ANY speed afterwards, and will have wasted money to do so. You will only need to go for a higher flow filter at about the same time you need a larger carb. At that point, both would be the advisable route. I don't mean to insult your intelligence. I am just stating things I know to be fact through personal experience and knowledge, along with a whole lot of available testament.

OK, cool. No offense taken. The new carb is totally stock. Essentially, you answered my question...no need for filter upgrade :) This thing is just a toy for me, and I appreciate your candor. Thanks, Ryan!

Most people on a stock setup with a pipe shoot for around a 58 jet though, just to throw it out. My girls bike reads well past 40 on the speedo too, but shows 36 on gps with a 58 jet and a UNI. I have plans to try the 61 jet that she has and monitor results. But, I think the combo of stock gears and 420 chain are going to keep it right where it is or very close.

Also to note, the SHA is a VERY basic ans simplistic carb, utilizing only a main jet. The benefit of that is a sort of ease in tuning by having only one point of adjustment. The problem with that is that you actually have more than one. For instance, the filter plays a huge role in the tuning of the carb. Friends with aftermarket cylinders and pipes have had to jet for proper mixture at WOT but then had a terrible idle due to the filter they used. A change of filter or removal of it would change the idle mixture (that is not adjustable) and had very little effect on WOT.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account