Need help choosing a performance pipe for maxi

So I've decided I want to add some speed to my 78 maxi Newport.... It's tuned perfectly right now and hits mid 30's, but I want to add a pipe (and presumably upjet as well) to add some speed. I can't decide/ I'm not experienced enough to properly choose a pipe. I'm 135 pounds so low end isn't too important... I'd like to spend no more than 100$, does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Need help choosing a performance pipe for maxi

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I put bullets on all my Puchs, and only $66,

christian boucher /

Overpriced Parts /

If you want low End and all around power

Get a tecno circuit

Those other pipes are good on the top but you have to pedal when you take off

Brent Bublitz /

I ran the techno, that thing rocks. Nice torque on take offs. Worth the money.

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-tecno-circuit-performance-exhaust-pipe-p/puch-tecno-circuit-pipe-pinto.htm

I vote estoril. Only $5 over budget and well worth the tiny bit extra

Overpriced Parts /

Kyle Mahieu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I vote estoril. Only $5 over budget and well worth

> the tiny bit extra

Yes but pedals hit chamber

You can bend the peddle arm out just a little. But yes its more effort

lets just make this a thread where we list all the puch pipes.

i'm going to say proma gp.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

i agree with Graham. Proma Circuit!

Why don't you search the wiki. There you might have come across an article about forum etiquette and that would have prevented you from making this shit post. You might have also found this article: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Exhausts

Overpriced Parts /

Flagrant - Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can bend the peddle arm out just a little.

> But yes its more effort

E50 maxi you have to bend the pedal arm a shit ton

Za50 not as much

I actually have seen that article many times, but I was looking for peoples' direct opinions and first hand experiences rather than a broad categorization. The article is good, but there are more pipes than listed there and I think it's worth considering all options

JAMMY PIPE FTW!

its actually a pretty well written post but its going to be tough to pick a pipe based on what you have told us.

if you're just looking for a pure top end boost, and don't mind loosing some low end, the boss is the highest rpm pipe.

my all time favorite stock puch pipe is a proma GP it has great torque and pulls strong through the midrange, but it doesn't rev as high as the boss. For my tastes, it is worth the loss in top speed because the bike is so much quicker and more fun to ride. If you want to get more top speed out of it, you can add a lot of porting with the GP and not loose all your low end.

the tecno circuit is good midrange too, but like all circuit pipes it is more likely to crack and get messed up on curbs and stuff. It doesn't offer as good of low end as the proma GP, but it does have better midrange and a more noticeable 'hit' especially with some porting.

the estoril is not a pipe i tend to choose for stock cylinders, its big and clunky and hits your ankle and usually requires bullshit to mount up. I like it for conservative kit builds in its stock (restricted) form, and its a ripper on top when unrestricted.

if you plan on eventually kitting, the Proma Circuit is a great pipe on kits, and OK on stock, but its low quality, loud, and doesn't do much until you port.

I avoid the bullets/biturbos at all costs because they are loud and annoying and i've spent way too many miles stuck behind them at rallies to ever willingly listen to one. They also kill your bottom end and midrange in exchange for a minor boost on top. Some people love them, i think most people think they are faster than they really are, because the poopey midrange makes you feel the pipe 'hitting' harder, just because it goes from totally sucking to less sucking.

I guarantee that if you put a Proma GP on your bike you will be happy, and you will blast anyone else you ride with. Usually you pass everyone (including kitted bikes) taking off from a light with very little fanfare, then they all get up to speed about 3 blocks later to go screaming by you just in time for them to hit the brakes again.

i think im gonna go with either:

puch biturbo

puch jammy

tecno circuit

puch boss

any suggestions? and would l seize if i mounted on a 50cc stock cylinder kit?

Or like the 100 of other posts exactly like this one? Did this really need another post?

the jammy sucks the most. all cylinder kits will seize if you don't do it right.

The Jammy pipe produces the most usable power in the low, mid, and high rpm. It is a smaller pipe but is perfect for a stock 49cc puch moped. It was designed to work with the existing intake and bing combo that came on puch mopeds. They use a hyro form technology that allows theym to get a perfect cone shape everytime. The flanges mate perfectly to create and airleak free tune everytime.

If you want the best possible combo of performance and style. The Jammy is your pipe.

David Gabert /

I've used a derestricted moby pipe, which was awesome! But you have a puch. I made a jammy sidebleed, noticed a little boost. Like Maize said.. It's a smaller pipe which is why it works so well with a stock/stockish motor. I made a proma warrior... it rips pretty good. Added a lot of pull at the top, nice midrange to top end. Now, I'm running a Ninja G3 and it's tip top. All in all... Your bike isn't kitted, but you will eventually. I would go with the proma or a tecno circuit. The cones are nice shapes. If you go with a big fat pipe, I think you will be unhappy until you go with a larger kit. They won't be able to get into the range needed to get the desired power. So, sometimes, a smaller coned pipe is all one may need to get a little more MPH.

The wiki is a great read and good info... but only for it's time. There are so many different types of chambers out there now. We aren't even really talking about hacking and welding.

Graham is smart. Sound is important for sure.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Lol @ this thread.

Go with a MlM or Motomatic

MLM sucks. Its some guy in his garage with a stick welder, a hammer, and some sheet metal.

Motomatic went out of business because they sucked too.

Stick with the Tried and True Hero. THE JAMMY!

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

^ like a PBJammy? Can I eat this pipe? How does it taste?

Simonini. I looks weird and all, but I love it! Outside of your budget tho.

Straight pipe!

Overpriced Parts /

Mid 30s mph I'd leave it

You will only get a few more mph without getting a bigger carb, doing more mods blah blah blah

Did ya order that jammy yet?

oh, i get it...

I vote techno circuit.

I've kinda always wondered about those Grand Prix pipes actually. I like the look of them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account