Would you run this?

sookia sookia /

65cc Puch Airsal, lost a piece of of circlip, i think the brass bearing on the stock crank was getting toasty, and gouged the top of the transfers. Piston is desroyed, but the cylinder looks to be ok with the exception of the damage below, wondering if i smooth out the chunked transfer if I will be ok to run again? with a new crank of course..

IMG_20140524_183045.jpg
IMG_20140524_182747.jpg
IMG_20140524_182719.jpg

Re: Would you run this?

sookia sookia /

damage to right port

damage to outside of left port, with damage to right port visible behind it

broken circlip (edited)

Super Tightpants /

looks perfectly fine to me :) if all that was actually damaged then there is NO reason NOT to buy a replacement and bringing that bitch back to life :) Honestly though, the (little) damage i can see in that trans. port is almost inconsequential to what it COULD and very well SHOULD have bin judging by your description of what went down in there lol :P

GL on the rebuild! hope you get er' rippin again soon! :D

sookia sookia /

Thanks dude, I was just worried that the damage was at the top of the port. New piston and roller crank on the way!

Clean it up and run it. Probably wont even notice a difference.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

That thing looks toast to me. Not only do you have a c clip gauge in the cylinder wall but it looks like the nikisil is very worn at the top of the cylinder a few mm down from the ring pressing hard on the power stroke. I bet you can feel that ridge with your finger. I would put a new kit on it based on those pics.

On a side note make sure your clip gap is at 6 or 12 so this doesn't happen again. Also be sure to run good clips and not the junk ones that come with the piston.

sookia sookia /

that's just oil, wiped right off there is absolutely no marring of the nikasil other than the chunk out of the transfer

♣Slew Foot♣ /

well, i am extremely cheap.

i would straighten out the gouges in the tranfers by re porting it. take the same amount off all the port roofs and then deck the case or base of cylinder. or something simular to that effect i mean if you report it. or just go wit da flow and finger port the roofs of the intakes.

i would go wit a semi janky crank for the testing incase there are unforseen aspects of the new porting instead of a ruining a race crank or something shiny....

Victor Medina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> that's just oil, wiped right off there is

> absolutely no marring of the nikasil other than

> the chunk out of the transfer

Then make it flush and run it. I did this to one and it had a big nasty gauge about 1/2 inch up i ground down. It had major power loss but still ran. It just lost torque and top end.

sookia sookia /

aaah, so i should raise the transfer to eat up the gouged spot? i was going to just smooth it out...

Smoothing it out will be fine, long as the top of the transfer is chamfered so the new rings don't catch. The damage at the bottom of the skirt is nothin.

gl

~M

sookia sookia /

I'll smooth it out and report back, it was previously topping out at around 44 mph with my gearing is about 9000rpm, I ported it by widening the exhaust and raising a bit as well as lowering the intake. New top speed was 49....guess the stock bushing couldn't handle the extra rpm

♣Slew Foot♣ /

if it isnt so deep that you bottom out the cyl skirt or loose too much squish

sookia sookia /

Finally got to fixing this, rebuilt the engine while I was at it. I smoothed out the transfer gouge with a round file and took a little off with a small square file. Replaced all seals bearings and crank, I even ported a little more. Ended up widening the exhaust a total of 3mm on each side lowering the intake 2mm and taking 1mm off of the top "notch" on the piston and my shit rips, pretty happy I didn't just scrap the kit. Still dialing in the jetting will report back when the new piston/rings are broken in.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account