Need to deck a cylinder/head/ case? Easy-to-find granite.

I got this nice slab of granite from my local tombstone retail store, if people die where you are, I'm sure you have one around. This piece was a sample of some discontinued material, so it was a freebie. It ought to work out just perfect for getting my Vespa cases dead flat.

Re: Need to deck a cylinder/head/ case? Easy-to-find granite.

I paid $3 for mine from home depot. No dead people required.

My Home Depot and Lowes do not stock granite, so they don't even have samples or scraps. But a friend reminded me that her dad owns this shop and sent me his way.

I buy picture frames for thrift stores.

simon thokaar /

my roommate found a couple slabs of granite large enough to give himself a hernia somewhere.. ive used them more than a few times to mill a head... those bastards weigh 100 lbs a piece tho..

I didn't feel like trying to find a thick plate of glass, plus it's so much more fragile. Granite doesn't bend, thin glass does.

How do you know the granite is flat?

Checked with a straight edge. My thinnest feeler gauge won't fit, and neither will a shhet of paper. That's pretty flat.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Most granite isnt truly flat. Just went through 15 samples at work and none were worth it.

If you want flat, get plate glass or use the machined table of a table saw/jointer..

sample should be at least 1.5 times bigger than item that is being worked.

matt boda1nz /

I used 1/4" plate glass..

^same

Brent Bublitz /

I have a couple of scientific granite slabs. They came out of a manufacturing test lab and are perfectly flat. They are about 6" thick and weigh a good 80lb each. I paid $25 for the pair when they were shutting down the lab.

Just a little side note, the shop I got this from supplied large 6'x6'? Granite slabs to a engine rebuilder here in town for checking heads.

i don't know what my deal is, but i've never encountered warped anything. just lucky i guess...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account