Re: DIY pipe powerband manipulator. "The boner"

Douglas Binder /

My pipe has an opening for an EGT sensor so when I get the fuel injection going, I'll modify that to accept a sprayer. After hearing about your pressure issues, I bought a fuel injection pump which should overcome the exhaust pressure issues. It will be a while but when I get some results, I'll post them here.

Cool.

I read that Honda was doing research into water injection to the exhaust for bikes but dropped it when they could achieve the same results in other ways. Don't know if that's true or not.

Honestly, my problem with this bikes low end is from the bad porting I did. It works, but I used to have assumptions about porting that were proved incorrect.

I used to think that high blowdown and high timing was the only way to make huge power, but not anymore. Wider band can be maintained with most cylinders, just have to plan for it. If I destroy this kit I'll try to do another with lower timings and a short pipe for a more well rounded hit but still rev out.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Has anyone done intake water injection with a ped yet?

I just did lol do you read

yeah i've come around on the big exhausts too, after about 180 degrees you go off a slope really fast. I have this brand new TCCD cyliner on my race bike that i overported 10+ years ago when i didn't know shit and i'm basically ready to bail on it with all of about an hour run time, because its just useless and no power until 8-9000 rpm.

i'd like to understand better how having a big exhaust timing with a smaller blowdown affects things, like on the split port AJH clone cylinder... can i raise the transfers to get more torque out of it? I dunno?

i'd also like to try this boner for that type of setup

eventually i'd like to try to make my own power valve for one of these. its pretty simple in theory, just gotta sit in front of a bridgeport for 20 some hours and bash it out.

Honestly most kits have great timing stock. Just port for width and flow, and get a lot of mix in and out, cut new transfers to get more mix up to the top, and set the rpm by the pipe.

Maybe a tiny bit of ex raising if needed.

That's what I'm going to do from now on.

Im imagining you brazing a trombone into your exhaust header to be controlled with a launch lever next.

> P8R . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Im imagining you brazing a trombone into your exhaust header to be

> controlled with a launch lever next.

That was my thoughts when he first started experimenting

I have thought about a slider pipe.

It would be difficult to control on a single variated bike, because I wouldn't want it to adjust automatically, rather have control over it. I think it would be perfect on an e50 or V1 though. Killer lows then ripping highs.

If I can find a cheap beater maxi I might build one.

yeah i mean, just from my own hacking around with clamp mount biturbos and shit, 2" of adjustment is more than enough. a RTV rubber o-ring would probably get the job done as long as its not right at the header.

my TSM stock exhaust has a rubber o-ring in it for a pivot joint, works pretty good.

Naw, I'm gonna cut ringlands into the header. Super easy, won't have to do locating pins either. Nothing to snag on. I'm gonna go for a 4-6 inch header change

Gonna make a spring return to its shortest position and control it with a foot pedal I think

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Naw, I'm gonna cut ringlands into the header. Super easy, won't have to

> do locating pins either. Nothing to snag on. I'm gonna go for a 4-6 inch

> header change

This is how the simonini slippers are setup; there is a ball at then end of the header pipe that a spring steel clip in a groove that fits inside the slider pipe on the chamber.

I have the pipe pictured below that I hoped to rig up on puch some day, I was going to have it default to the long setting with a lever to move it.

I know, I hated that pipe on a moby.

Turned one into the pipe I'm running on my hobbit.

I do not want to be forced to change pipe length based on variation. That's a shitty way to control pipe length in my opinion(edited)

But on a puch it could work.

The too big outer header pipe is a turn off. Really leaky even with that spring ring

Really anything other than a french bike it would work fine

There's just so much to do when riding a French bike, and the swing really complicates the assembly.

Ive got my right foot launch, left hand vari-brake, and then still have to run the throttle and brakes and not die.

I think an e50 would be perfect for this. Derbi too but derbis don't need it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account