1977 Superclutch Experiences:

NB0tt aholetechbro /

So far myself and a friend have had nothing but problems with our 77 Superclutches.

I've seen/heard people say that you should drill out the studs on the shoes and put in larger ones along with using larger hardware like M7 or M8. If you go the M7 route good luck finding the proper bolts and it seems to be that M8 would be too large without modifying the shoes and getting larger springs but I'm not sure.

What has everyone else had to do so far to make their 77 SC's work?

Is there anyone that has been able to run their SC completely stock without issues?

Re: 1977 Superclutch Experiences:

lol, figured that would happen.

called it, same issues as BRN clutches

Mark Swoop and Jordan swoop have had good luck with theirs. However in fairness I believe they picked through a few before they grabbed theirs

i know stock 2 shoes have they're limits, but they work pretty good with kickstart springs, and if you brace one they last a long long time.

theres way too many clutch options for a e50 right now...

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Ya the BNR was like betting a dead horse.

Thanks to 1977 Moped's Super clutch we have Mooo on.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Damn, that cow just keeps on getting beat over and over and over and over

Has anyone actually upgraded to M8 bolts yet? How straight forward was it?

I guess I'm wondering what people have actually done and what kind of success they've had.

What you want is a Monkey with a AK47.

Super clutch fucked me good.

First blue lock tight failed.

Red lock tight with new hadware, screws stayed in. Clutch bell separated from bushing. Cooked bushing into crank. East of 99.00$. :(

I sold mine to a nice guy who doesn't hold it against me. Right??

My idea to improve reliability of the screws was to add a steel spacer between the hub and the bolt head so the entirety of the bolt has something to support it, instead of being able to flex any which way from the hub.

It would be a tight fit but might solve some of the busted bolt issue

due to no support across the whole length of the bolt.

the only one worth a hoot is the hammer, for real. just take the time to break in the material and you'll be golden for lots of worry free high-rpm engaging miles.

and anyone who is serious about trying to make a big boy clutch work should have the gear welded to the bell.

stock 2 shoe is good, 3 shoe with real shoes is good too. kickstart is a must.

i was gonna buy one to try it, but then i scored 2 complete REAL ktm clutches for $35 from ebay.

Been rocking chainsaw clutches in my E50's

Michael Thomas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> called it, same issues as BRN clutches

We all called it, and even when we offered help.... no one reached out.

$$ > r/d

Brent Bublitz /

Agree on the Hammer. Loaded one in my Garelli and it's better every day. Slippy then grippy. Worth the price.

Ya it was like one of day of 77mopes R&D and one year to ship out after you pad for it,

Love my hammer with the ATF royal purple. This is my second season an still no issue!!

Stihl by chance? Which number? Thread it on or what?

I will post with pics putting some together in the next week or two.

Got to finish up a batch of HD Moby mounts first.

i'm ready to see what's available.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

I've had a KTM sitting on the shelf for 2 years now and have yet to try it out, I think this Thursdays going to be the day. Hopefully worth the wait.

^ you might be impressed, you might not be. the limits of a 1-speed wet centrifugal clutch are ok if you weigh 110 pounds.

Nick STL Ruffians /

Got a day out of mine before the bolts backed out, and bent. I used red on just the bottom few threads. Fingers crossed these quality bolts and tons of locktite hold

so what im gettin from this:

adjust springs to slip without revving to the moon

red (or maybe even green) loctite required

My E50 just has a case matched A55 stock topend and im only shooting for 40mph.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Mazzer, when you say bent you mean the bolts got bent?

Yep, I really could stand to lose about 60lbs.....might make clutch woes go away

Sounds like the issues people are having is because they are not bottoming out the bolts. Take out the washers and run the stock spring. If its still too gnarly, grind down the springs a lil. Super easy, only take a few minutes to set one of these up for mild street riding and will last forever with no problems.

mine ran fantastic with brand new springs all the way tight, then it span on my crank so i locktited the shit out the taper and that held up. It was pretty much put it in and go until the springs "broke in" or as I like to say wore out. Launches were only in the 5k region with those springs. i modded mine to have some heavy duty kart springs and rode it once. I guess my shoes weren't adjusted perfectly and since they are so light you really have to be spot on or else it kinda goes RW-wa-wa-WA-wAAAaaaaaa on engagement. I had it close, but it was still too unbalanced for that high of rpm launches and it ripped my gear out of the bell(unwelded stock) and toasted the main gear. then i switched to a z50 and haven't wanted to fuck with that waste of money anymore. I swear i must have had it off the bike 100 times. (edited)

Kinda silly to not have a welded clutch bell and running high rpm stalls...

Nick STL Ruffians /

NB0tt's Moped Taco Racers 100% Daily Nutritional Value Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mazzer, when you say bent you mean the bolts got

> bent?

>

> Yep, I really could stand to lose about

> 60lbs.....might make clutch woes go away

correct.

the shitty chinese bolts backed-out and bent.

all i know is my girlfriends maxi with a hammer doesn't get off the clutch til 45mph and is just about as fast as a honda elite 150 to 55mph.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account