Re: NOT-A-MOPED: 1988 Yamaha DT50... Thoughts?

PS: Japanese dudes seem to convert these to 12v with just a 12v battery, 12v reg/rec from a different Yamaha and a 12v flasher relay.

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v479315696B

they also got some rad color schemes over there

I've also come across an aftermarket CDI box, but hard to tell if it does much more than remove a limiter since these might have been restricted in Japan? Hard to work out from translate.

There's a shit ton of parts on YAJ as well, and there's plenty of car parts importer dudes/services out there if you need something you can't find stateside.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Rob Rob Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> http://pipeburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/31_

> 08_2012_cocaine_white_moped_01.jpg

This bike is very neat. I am looking to put a smaller tank on mine since the one that came with it is garbage, but I definitely am not going that small.

Yeah it's a fun custom bike. I didn't find it I just embedded the photo. It was linked on teh first page. That tank looks like something from a Mobat. I probably would have gone with a lower pipe. That one looks like it will get your leg at some point. lolz

Dirty30 Dillon /

Rob Rob Wrote:

> Yeah it's a fun custom bike. I didn't find it I

> just embedded the photo. It was linked on teh

> first page. That tank looks like something from a

> Mobat. I probably would have gone with a lower

> pipe. That one looks like it will get your leg at

> some point. lolz

I agree, I'm looking to get something like this from overseas

http://m.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p_tecnigas_exhaust_ebox_for_derbi_senda_drd_rieju_smx_etc_4689aspx(4689).aspx

That looks like a nice pipe. I recently picked up a Voca for the 05 GPR. I first got the under pipe or it, but it was clearly not going to work on the bike so I ended up getting the wrap around version. lolz

Because I live so close to the ocean I painted it with high heat red, which came out orange! It's now much darker as the heat seems to have changed the color. lolz.

IMG_5270.jpg

The thing is though you can fit pipes made for different bikes on your bike. On the Monza I fitted a pipe made for the Aprilia RS50. I had to do a lot of work to get it sorted, but it came out great.

IMG_0304.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, the mounting and modifying isn't a problem. I just wanted something that put the header and chamber at the right angle. Flange change, angling, etc is easy

Doing some more internet scouring and came across some potential rubber intake options for bigger carbs. Listed as fitting DT50 and DT80, says 48x60 which is real real close to the 48x58 bolt spacing on curbcasts reed drawing.

The spigot diameter looks a little hard to nail down exactly from the wonky description.

Parmakit d25 76505.05 "fixing Internal carburetor 27 to 29mm" seems to come with a reducer ring?

http://www.rrd-preparation.com/en/pipe-admission-motor-bike-50-125cc/9452-pipe-admission-souple-parmakit-25-x-28mm-moto-50-80-yamaha-dt-tzr.html

Parmakit d30 76506.06 bigger. "fixing Internal carburetor 32 to 35mm "

http://www.rrd-preparation.com/en/pipe-admission-motor-bike-50-125cc/9396-pipe-admission-parmakit-25-x-35mm-moto-yamaha-dt-tzr-refroidissement-liquide.html

Seems to be for this model TZR80, and that looks just like the 17w in our DT50LC's, probably the exact same 53w engine as DT80LC.

Although maybe this is all moot since I remember reading that DT100 intakes fit, and those came with spigot VM22s, though I can't find the thread where I read that now. Either way DT100 intakes are cheaper and easier to come by but I can't find the diameter of a VM22 spigot to see if say, a TM would fit.

Also found two models of TOP racing crankshafts for dt50lc.

http://www.rrd-preparation.com/en/roulements-cages-a-aiguilles-yamaha-dt-mx-zx-mbk/16055-vilebrequin-top-racing-yamaha-dt-lc-50-refroidissement-liquide.html

http://www.rrd-preparation.com/en/roulements-cages-a-aiguilles-yamaha-dt-mx-zx-mbk/16056-vilebrequin-top-racing-evolution-yamaha-dt-lc-50-refroidissement-liquide.html (edited)

I have them. They fit. Email me at contact@doscycles.com if you'd like to purchase one.

20161206_160505.jpg

Got my dt80lc gianelli in. Looks like the header is a lot shorter and the chamber a bit bigger.

This is as far as I got test fitting it before my fingers froze solid. Couldn't get the header slipped over the flange 100% but its real close.

Pipes on. Just had to shorten the stinger and move the mounting bracket.

Rips way harder from 8-10k, kind of a dog everywhere else but I didn't spend a lot of time trying to tune it yet.

DT100 reeds in progress, seems like it's going to work.

nice

haven't started in on mine yet but the intake does fit 35mm spigot keihn/oko, etc.

does not fit my vm30 mik dirtybike carb but that shit is gonzo huge anyhow

i bought a 26 pwk for this jonks.

Had it together with the kit, DT100 intake and a 21mm OKO. Works, but the drain bolt on the float bowl hits the case, carb won't sit in the boot straight. Might be better or worse with the spacer in there, not sure yet. Acted like my DR hobbit did before I changed reeds, really bad almost impassable wall before the powerband starts. Figured I'd go for the big reeds before putting a ton of tuning effort into it.

Drilled and added a fitting on the oko for the oil injection but still not sure if I will end up using it, need a longer oil injection hose.

DT100, DT175, and I think RD200 reeds are all the same. If I hate the OKO I'll probably grab a vm22 from a DT100 for it.

i thought DT100 was a VM26?

RT100 is also super popular in the developing world and is basically a DT100.

i'll be developing a squish band and cutting heads for these once i get mine together. Late april/may if other projects go as planned.

From everything I can find, VM22 came on DT100, VM24 came on DT175/DT125.

interesting

i have no idea what the spigot size is on VM22, i've only had flange mount ones. my guess would be small but not small enough for that spacer ring, that thing looks like some PHBG size

Graham Motzing Wrote:

> interesting

>

> i have no idea what the spigot size is on VM22,

> i've only had flange mount ones. my guess would be

> small but not small enough for that spacer ring,

> that thing looks like some PHBG size

DT100 VM22 spigot size is the same as OKO, unsure if the spigot size ever differed because they don't seem to make/sell new spigot VM22s. I'm running a DT100 intake boot. Got a good deal on reeds+intake. Spacer ring on that parmakit intake is for PHBG I believe, not sure if it fits an OKO without the ring.

hell yuh. looks proper

I've got a rt intake with a tm24 on mine. Blowdown on the Parma kit is insanely high, exhaust is far too high. I have modified mine to have 25* of blowdown and now it does wheelies. I'm currently running the stock pipe, I've got some choices for pipes that I might want to try out with the new porting.

Daniel '' Wrote:

> I've got a rt intake with a tm24 on mine. Blowdown

> on the Parma kit is insanely high, exhaust is far

> too high. I have modified mine to have 25* of

> blowdown and now it does wheelies. I'm currently

> running the stock pipe, I've got some choices for

> pipes that I might want to try out with the new

> porting.

How'd you handle the exhaust being too high? I'm wrapping my head around blowdown, raising the transfers would lower blowdown but leave the exhaust timing high still.

There isn't really a way to lower the exhaust timing without machining the bottom of the cylinder down. But that is a super big pain in the butt. With the high blowdown the powerband was super hard hitting for like 1k and had zero power under or over it, I just wanted more range around and outside the peak. The durations made peak power around 10.5-12.5 and will probably rev to 14k with a tuned exhaust(tach stops at 12). I spent a few hours punching numbers into a couple different caluculators and reading and re-reading the two stroke tuning handbook on this subject. I am still trying to figure out the exhaust dims i want for it,

Daniel '' Wrote:

> There isn't really a way to lower the exhaust

> timing without machining the bottom of the

> cylinder down. But that is a super big pain in the

> butt. With the high blowdown the powerband was

> super hard hitting for like 1k and had zero power

> under or over it, I just wanted more range around

> and outside the peak. The durations made peak

> power around 10.5-12.5 and will probably rev to

> 14k with a tuned exhaust(tach stops at 12). I

> spent a few hours punching numbers into a couple

> different caluculators and reading and re-reading

> the two stroke tuning handbook on this subject. I

> am still trying to figure out the exhaust dims i

> want for it,

That explains a lot of why mine was acting like it was. Thanks for the blowdown tip, I've got some reading, measuring and thinking to do before mine all goes back together.

I recommend cutting a nice fatty gasket for the water pump joint on the cylinder and coating the fuck out of the gasket with motoseal, mine was trouble to get to hold water in the upper rpms. Also, I was never able to get my pwk dialed in, always was rich then when it hit the pipe it would fall flat on its face, then bog out for a second and then scream back to life, idk maybe i am retarded and don't understand how to tuna fish, but the tm24 was easy peasy.

well you took the boost bottle off

that's the problem

Cole Doubt Wrote:

> well you took the boost bottle off

> that's the problem

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but I feel like with the boost bottle being set for stock cyl and carb, all the numbers go out the window with a kit and a bigger carb. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think an intake exists that'll fit a bigger carb and has the port for the bottle.

I'm happy to see this thread still active :)

Japan web bike has an intake made by kitaco for flange mount carbs to keep the boost. They also have a super dope looking race pipe too, but it's like $400.00... The boost bottle is so dumb! When i put a 19 phbg on my stock set-up it had a really weird lean bog then it would wake right up, only on initial roll onto anywhere from 1/8th throttle to WOT. I'm really liking the tm24 on my current set-up. I've seen 65 on it, drafting a bus, the pipe is so restictive, it fights so hard to pull past 10.5k.

Daniel '' Wrote:

> Japan web bike has an intake made by kitaco for

> flange mount carbs to keep the boost. They also

> have a super dope looking race pipe too, but it's

> like $400.00... The boost bottle is so dumb! When

> i put a 19 phbg on my stock set-up it had a really

> weird lean bog then it would wake right up, only

> on initial roll onto anywhere from 1/8th throttle

> to WOT. I'm really liking the tm24 on my current

> set-up. I've seen 65 on it, drafting a bus, the

> pipe is so restictive, it fights so hard to pull

> past 10.5k.

I think you got your hands on one of those DT80 pipes too? Mine pulled past 10k easy with the kit before I pulled it apart to mess with reeds.

river2strokes clued me in that YSR50 intake fits, and can be opened up to 20mm to fit a flange VM20 and has provisions for the boost and oil injection.

I put the stock pipe back on, tuning this set up is a real big nightmare. When I put the 80 pipe on it basically cuts out and revs ups, then cuts out again when it should be hitting hard. I've tried literally every jet I have from 135-220 and it just four stroked with anything above 180, but if even if I got it to clear out and rip it would still shit out. I'm wondering if it some kind of reed problem or maybe I do need the boost after all? I dunno I'm willing to try anything at this point to get it to rip half as hard as my stock with an hpi ns50.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account