Re: NOT-A-MOPED: 1988 Yamaha DT50... Thoughts?

Also, I created a Wiki page for the DT50. I figured the MB5 has one, it's 50cc, and the bike is fairly popular among moped enthusiasts, so why the hell not.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Yamaha_DT50

It can also be found under the section "Yamaha" in the Wiki. I copied some info from Wikiepedia, added some of my own knowledge as well. Feel free to edit with other documentation if you wish.

Additionally, I uploaded the manual to MopedArmy and included the link in the Wiki.

there's one on ebay right now, blue guy. rad.

Doug Wilhelm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you have tail / head light function without a

> battery hooked up?

I literally started it for .03 seconds because of the whole no water thing. I'll get you good info this weekend.

print that wiring schematic huge and do it all with colored markers or pencils, it will be much easier to follow. I'll take photos of the various connectors and try to get all the wire colors.

what is with people taking headlights off of enduros and just cutting the wire pigtail off at the handlebars? Why the hell do people do that? Someone did that to the DT100 that i'm working on... argh! like they couldn't figure out how to pull the connectors out of the headlight bucket or what?

Yeah ok, small report

got this thing fired up, hooked up all the cables, and ran it for awhile wishing i had a chain for it, d'oh!

starts good, runs good on choke but its real lean without the airbox. Mine has a 100 jet. Kinda torn between just slapping an air filter on there and rocking it with a bigger jet or holding out to find the proper airbox git.

so yeah, all the lights work with no battery. headlight, high/low beams, brake, tail.

I don't have any turn signals, not sure if i'm gonna put tiny china crotch rocket ones on it (LED's might not work on 6v) or just leave them off.

uh what else. slight water leak at the head gasket. i got it real clean and torqued to spec so it might be warped or the Athena gasket is a piece of crap or both.

since its a composite gasket you cant re-use it, so i'm stuck with it leaking unless i buy a new one.

the oem is MLS, so i might invest in one of those and use the copper spray shit on it. Maybe i'll port the cylinder depending on how she runs out, maybe i'll fall in love and go crazy with a TM24, malossi reeds, and a hack-and-welded kx65 pipe.

Made a video of the one I'm working on with a new headlight! I have a battery hooked up, but it's a shitty reused one.

Keep us posted, Graham!

(edited)

† CH∆D † /

Rerouted my carb & made an oil pump cover. Not sure that's gonna work out but hopefully. Have put a huge amount of time into the frame on this. Likely 80 hours, but it's coming out exactly how I liked. Graham I also bought another so I may hoard this shit sorry!

image.jpg
image.jpg

† CH∆D † /

(edited)

photo-1 (1).jpg

† CH∆D † /

6V eh? Jesus, thats odd. I was told at least with a DT175 that the stator will power EVERYTHING, so maybe the same applies here?

I noticed my bike was 6v as well. I don't have a horn / signals, so can't tell if the DT50 stator will power everything. Funny story, because I actually bought my DT50 thinking it was a DT175! Didn't do enough research.

Was the DT175 released in the US?

† CH∆D † /

Im pretty sure, mine is in Canada. Pretty sure it would be state side though. Just bought the 175 from a Colombian guy whom grew up with rad two strokes down south.

Can you post pics of your 175? What's the top speed on that thing, like 80?Haha. Super cool though.

I realized the other day that my High School physics professor has a Honda Hobbit he's had in a shed for 30 years-- used to ride it as a kid.

† CH∆D † /

Yeah I had a wild find today as well! NS50 sitting in a shop, haha they want gold for it & its body is toast, but still! Spring worms are coming up!

† CH∆D † /

Same as this. Running, but its cold & I only got through 3 gears. Its fast Im sure...but she needs some work.

I have/had both of those bikes

CHAD NOOOOOOOOO!!!

dude, at least the side covers and the air box?? pretty please? your extra bike doesn't have them?

even the air box i can get creative with a k&n or something wacky, but those sidecovers make the bike...

ah whatever, i understand hoarder mentality... these things aren't exactly hard to come by, but unfortunately there is no 'dirtbike army buy/sell' with reasonable prices and i'm stuck paying feEbay an arm and a leg for this crap.

anyhow, its looking sweet. I love the oil pump block-off. That shaft comes out really easy from the back side with an e-clip, but i cant remember if it doesn't run the tach or something like that... hmmm... i think maybe it does

SWEET! I haven't ridden mine in weeks! Ya'll got me pumped to at least ride it today! I might even do my fork seals! See ya'll on YAMAHAENDURO.COM!

yeah!

lets talk to old dudes who are scared to do porting!

† CH∆D † /

The air box has one broken tab and covers are weak. Could hook that up for yah

YAH DUDE!!! let me know a price and i'll PP you asap. i wanna get out and blast this thing.

† CH∆D † /

Graham, address? These parts are junky but should work. Will send free! Hook up a head tube sometime and I'll be stoked

i'll email ya dude,

my truck broke down and i need to ride this thing to work

PREACH!

I just picked up a complete DT50lc engine that I'm going toss in my TZ50 until I get a chance to do a full rebuild on the TZ motor. I'll try to snap some pics of the 2 side by side to see differences.

man my suzuki ts50 is crazy lean without the airbox too, choke only. like theres airleaks upstream of the carb that lean it out. real damn sensitive.

ive noticed on other bike though that going with small filters and aftermarket pod they get really clogged up quick offroading.

† CH∆D † /

I'm about to put my clutch cover back on and can't quite figure the shift arm spring placement. Graham? There is a folded prong that sits down in a cast slot then a single prong that fits into a drilled hole in the case near the mating surfaces?

† CH∆D † /

I'm talking bout the kickstarter spring actually :/

hmm oh man, i'm not sure i wasn't paying that much attention, that part just kinda slipped together. I do remember looking at it and thinking... don't let that spring pop out because it looks wierd to get back in.

i do think there was a pilot on the cover that went inside the spring to keep it in place, maybe that helps?

† CH∆D † /

I found some wear on the case to help me figure it. Sw8 she should be buttoned up before noon.

† CH∆D † /

Im getting a shuddering in the motor at slow down. Whats that all about? Clutch not fully releasing? Bad bearing?

hey chad, man sorry i didn't get that head tube out yet, i had to go out of town last week. i'll email ya.

the clutch thing, yeah for sure i'm getting the same. I have a bogus clutch cable that needs to be shortened and rerouted, but i think the clutch just has a crazy long throw that the lever can't handle. Shortening and re-routing the cable should help but i think its just poor design. I'm getting some clutch slip at the top of second and 3rd gears, so i might try to shim the springs or something tricky.

That clutch adjuster thing is super weird, the nut on the slotted shaft in the middle of the clutch... mine came loose after the first ride so i had to take it apart but not sure that i adjusted it right, maybe it needs some pre-load

the kicker spring you probably figured out, but i had it apart to fix that clutch thing, the spring locs into the hole that is in a machined part of the face. It looks like gasket mating surface but the wall thickness of the cover doesn't protrude across the face, just on the edge. There is a snout inside the cover that slides down and inside the spring to hold it in place.

† CH∆D † /

Thanks graham yeah I got that motor back together ok. My stock running bike is the one I'm having issue with. Also how soon does carbon come free if you throw a pipe in a fire? I'm getting mad sputtering & it takes a lot of revs to get to the good RPM's so I'm thinking I'm carboned up

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account