Re: NOT-A-MOPED: 1988 Yamaha DT50... Thoughts?

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > I have an aftermarket 43mm stroke crank in my

>

> >

>

> > > dt50, with the stock cyl bored to 46mm, hpi and firebox pipe. It

> rips.

>

> >

>

> > > Now the clutch can't hold it.

>

> >

>

> > Have you ever tried shimming the springs ?

>

> it's probably more of an issue of clutch surface area and less of an

> issue with spring tension.

I use to shim all my clutch springs . It was kind of a given that after I did a little performance work , the clutch would slip . Shims were easier and a lot quicker to make than trying to find and wait for stiffer springs .

And , they always seemed to make the difference needed .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

How bad is it for a clutch to slip in 2nd and 3rd on these small shifty bikes? My cimatti 86 needs to be slipped to get off the line decently, and if i keep the hammer down through 2nd and 3rd the clutch will slip a bit too. I was under the impression that these bikes are happy to slip n slide all day.

I'd imagine a little slip is needed ( nature of the beast kinda thing ) , but too much and it would likely not reach anything close to 'full potential' .

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> How bad is it for a clutch to slip in 2nd and 3rd on these small shifty

> bikes? My cimatti 86 needs to be slipped to get off the line decently,

> and if i keep the hammer down through 2nd and 3rd the clutch will slip a

> bit too. I was under the impression that these bikes are happy to slip n

> slide all day.

Slipping the clutch by actuating the lever and the clutch slipping while engaged are two different things.

You need to slip the clutch to get into the power on a small bore 2t bike, but if your clutch is adjusted properly and you have no tension on the lever, you should not see any clutch slippage from power application.

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> it's probably more of an issue of clutch surface area and less of an

> issue with spring tension.

bingo. I was going to put ebc disk and springs in it, even got the thicc bandit ones to try. My dt80 came with half an early dt80 4 disk clutch in it. It's getting the correct LC2 5 disk clutch and the 4 disker is gonna move to the 50 engine. That should hold it.

stock ign vs HPI for shits n giggles featuring clutch slip(edited)

Yea even the semi ripping set up isnt as fast as the ns50. I always felt like there was too big of a drop in the ratio from 2nd to 3rd. I'm glad I didn't go too far down the rabbit hole, although it does look pretty fun.

Damn, i need an hpi on mine

I want it.

Lee you are taking these bikes to a whole new level.

Im curious if anyone had found a good source for front and rear sprockets? For my mostly stock setup i want to down gear it a bit so i can use 6th gear a little more. and granted i have not pulled the stock carb off in a good while but are they normal mikuni jets in there?

Sprockets are on treats. They are super nice and not terribly expensive. The jets are the short hex kind. The threading on del jets was close enough to fit em in, but the numbers are not the same at all.

O hi, bump to report that HPI is a great mod for otherwise stock DT. Lee and I put one on mine (stock, boyesen dual stagers + twinair stock-ish filter). Not a huge difference in speed, but revs up pretty quick and a great low end improvement. Wheelies!

Considering the stock flywheel weighs in close to 3 lbs that makes sense it would have better response in the low end, I noticed on my ns when I switched over it didn’t have the inertia on the crank to keep it running in the low rpms and would stall a little easier. I sold my dt before I ever installed an hpi on it. Such a bummer of a bike.

Yeah, I feel it. I'm 6 foot, 150 lbs and Lee's DT80 or a Senda/Rieju is more my size and speed. The Senda I rode this summer is everything I want in a small CC shifty bike, plus I was up on my tiptoes. I rode motocross as a kid so it felt really natural.

DT much more rad looking tho. Hey guys buy mine!

edit: spelling(edited)

> c k Wrote:

> O hi, bump to report that HPI is a great mod for otherwise stock DT. Lee

> and I put one on mine (stock, boyesen dual stagers + twinair stock-ish

> filter). Not a huge difference in speed, but revs up pretty quick and a

> great low end improvement. Wheelies!

I saw Lee's review on treats; did you wind up getting that one to fit or did you buy another one?

The one we used was the exact one from earlier in this thread: taper for DT50 MX.

We only put it on for a few rips up and down the road and put the stock CDI back on. We didnt wire for lights, kill, etc. Just a quick science experiment.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account