Ringland porting. Best practices.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

So I am convinced that the search function on this site sucks. No results for ringland porting.

I want to do this. I have several tiny dremmel bits that I want to try to practice on a bad piston I have.

Please enlighten me on how to do this. I know that you put little tiny holes along where the rings go to aid in cooling the rings by increasing the amount of exposure the rings have to the gas/oil mix.

A. Do the holes go above or below where the rings sit?

B. How big of holes do I want?

C. How many holes do I need to make?

Thanks.

Re: Ringland porting. Best practices.

mine failed due to the hole being too close to the ring pin- space it out

Dirty30 Dillon /

From what I recall, they go above the ring, only top when there's two.

Also, not cut into the inside surface of the ring groove, only top "shelf"

Yes I read that one Matt. It raised more questions than it answered.

does anyone have a photo to share?

Seconded. I know this is like 'proprietary racr technology' and all that, but some Real Theory here would be good, not just 'It blew up and I don't know why'

Then search if you want proof. There's 1,000 threads all ready on this. Half of them with input from crazy Wayne

Funk, I think bigblock was the center of the best threads on ring porting.

Try this, I think it may be one of the better info threads on that subject. If not, then try the google search (at the page bottom) for bigblock fiero. That should help you find more.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2058127,2058206

SkUG SkUGosarus /

the default search is set to 30days... sometimes old posts are missed :(

p.s - woah @ engine kaplodin!

If you go to search type ringland porting exact phrase switch to all catagories and all dates. A 1,000 good threads came up. You can sort out all the bs threads. First hand experience ringland porting worked well on my kstar and now with my airsal with no complications. Temps stay a little cooler and depending on a plug I always side gap and idex it.

I made this port a long time ago on my first try. the position is good but it could have stood to be a little deeper so that it actually cuts into the bottom of the ring groove.

This would have been better to allow the Case pressure to squirt around the back of the ring and out the drilled gas port.

Also you want to map where you build your gas ports so that they squirt onto the cylinder walls as to having them travel across a open transfer port.

WARNING! if you should happen to nick or gouge your bottom ring land you will get blow-by on ignition. You do not want to have that happen so building a jig is the best idea.

If you try to do thid with a dremmel you WILL FAIL.

Here is one of my failure nicks. See the blow-by?

Corn out of MN has the best example of ringland porting I have seen.

Maybe he will post the pic of his.

SkUG SkUGosarus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the default search is set to 30days... sometimes

> old posts are missed :(

>

> p.s - woah @ engine kaplodin!

I am aware of this. Nothing show up still.

Thanks Cheetah, thats some helpful info. Maybe I will hire maize to do mine if he is so inclined.

Luke, just put your piston in the cylinder, mark the top of the piston to indicate where you what the ports, take the piston out, use a hose clamp to guide the drill bit so you don't pull a Marty, and you're done!

My name is not Luke it is Tobias. Here is my business card:

Well shit! I see your all in that same Mary Tyler Moore state.

I bet Maze would fab that piston for you, and at a reasonable rate too.

There's no way I would wash up them sticky pans though.

Oh, hey another Masshole. I'm down in New Bedford, where loud scooters roam free and anything without a Variator takes three times as long to get anywhere.

I suspect fall river would be worse... What with those 50* inclines all over the place.

ian van opijnen /

I've ringland ported all my

Pistons, and echo what rich says as the temps are a bit lower, and maybe a touch more power. Weve Never fucked up a piston by using hose claps and the RIGHT dremel bit, (tiny tiny tiny grinding point/ engraving point)

My understanding is you did NoT want to go below the ring, because the gas would/could move the ring outward, when you just want it seated nicely in the lower part of the land. Correct me if I'm wrong

Please! I dunno if it matters.... But I've put ringlands in my ex and transfers with no ill side effects. Maybe I was lucky?

^^ Regarding the placement of the ringland ports -

BBF tested one piston with ringland ports pointing into the transfers, and one with only ringland ports that did not point into the transfers. There was no difference in performance.

BBF will put smaller ringland ports which point out the exhaust, but I think he recommended against it for anything that's not a purely high performance engine. IIRC this is just because he thinks it would waste gas out the exhaust. I, however, don't think they would waste any gas out of the exhaust. I remember discussing this with him on the forums and I don't think his reasons were convincing.

I say space the ringland ports evenly around the piston and don't worry where they point.

those ports look huge!

bff made smaller ports

i use a hose clamp and small drill bits

I've been using a 1/8" ball nosed carbide cutter for mine with good results. The size of the ports doesn't seem to be too sensitive.

Also, they won't out and out prevent Seizure, but they'll keep your piston cool above and beyond temperatures where you'll seize. It can still happen if you're riding too hard for too long.

Just get a hold of bigblock, hes local dood. Or i can show you what I do IRL.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Yep 1/16" is all you need i use a 1//8" mill flat nose bit and just kiss the bottom of the ringland grove.

Stay 10 to 15mm from the ring gap/s.

4 to 6 ports on 50cc, 5 to 7 ports on 44 to 47mm pistons.

Put them at the edge to 3mm a way from the EX-port.

And the rest in the transfer ports so thy get fresh oil and gas to prevent gumming the ring.

On two ring setups make the ring gap .002" to .003" bigger on the lower ring so blow by can escape. (edited)

Wayne, why not put them pointing out the exhaust port? I don't believe they would squirt any gas out of the exhaust. Do you disagree, or is there another reason that I'm not aware of?

Your piston can melt the thin spot of the port if its near the center of the EX-port and or fill the port with crap and smear when the pipe is hitting.

You can be in the EX-port with your ring land porting a pinch just keep it out of the blowdown zone/area.

So if you got crap/carbon in your pipe say from your kit going KaBoom zinggg klunk kunklnalk or bits of a broken ring etc in the pipe.

And you don't cleanse the pipe out, when the pipe starts hitting it will blow shit back into the cylinder and if you have a nick or a ringland port in the center of your EX-port you will have a door stopper or a set/s of them like this lost sole.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3455579,3455673,

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account