Re: Snowflake Disc Brake - DIY w/PICs

May be true. But how many hobbits do you know of with dual disk brakes?

All about the props & the stops!

Neil I am digging the front setup with the ABS. I have a similar setup I removed from a Automoto 150cc Scooter, When did upgrade to rear disk as well.

I will say I had some doubts that the china ABS was a joke. But on that scoot it saved me few times. I had to change to non ABS on it and have locked up the front twice. Almost miss it.

May need to mod it onto my hobbit once I get it running right.

Neil Burgess /

Deadbolt Don Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just a thought but if you used a Idler pulley with

> a bearing in the middle that could replace the

> rear carrier bearing on the brake plate.

>

> Of course the trick is finding one with the

> correct I.D. for our axles.

> The other thing one could try is milling out a

> space and press bearing into the hub you are using

> to mount the disk to?

> Dunno its early and still waking up.

Yeah I thought of that, but then theres nothing connecting that bearing to the subframe on a hobbit. There's next to no space there to work with either......

And it's not because we NEED it...... we WANT it!

CAUTION!!

watchout that autozone pulley latest lot looks way different than pulley pictured on beginning of the thread. space where bolts go on the face is not flat but at the degree angle- no flat matin surface

Ed - Dead Possums /

Yes I have also come across this.

just wonder were you able go to different location of autozone for different lot, or just use different supplier

thanx for the idea bro!!

Just so everyone knows... I ended up with an extra set of SACHS snowflakes, I got that same disc rotor and it bolted right on to the extra rear Sachs rim. No modification. Obviously had to use a wider set of forks, and measure first! There are a lot of different versions of that disc rotor but I got it for like 12 bucks shipped via eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181014462360?item=181014462360&cmd=ViewItem&vxp=mtr

Pic

image.jpg

Yah, but everybody knows about that one...

The puch rims are worthless for stopping at high speeds and the Z sprocket wheels aren't that common.

I'm gonna go hunt for that pulley this winter when I go on winter break.

Awesome job man, keep us updated with how the rear comes out when finished. Saw your post an it inspired me to bust out the calipers and my welder and did my front wheel similar to yours with a few minor differences

Ed - Dead Possums /

Here are a couple shots of the rear. Forgot I never posted any of it done. Works awesome. Not the best pics, but whatever.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Did you mount the bolts through the inner wall of the hub that hold the adapter and disk? That's awesome, I have been trying to think of how to have rear disk and keep the pedal chain. RAD engineering

Ed - Dead Possums /

Thanks! Not exactly sure what you mean. There are other pics earlier in the thread.

using this method to madness on some foxi baron 17" mags - the ID on them surprisingly was also 90mm

a little grinding on the bottom edge and it slid right in with some rubber mallet taps

napa had the part for $27 - just need to find a rotor now

OH AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR CREATIVITY - the front leleu hub i bought didn't want to play nice

Ed - Dead Possums /

I was asking if you mounted the disk through the inner hub wall, or if you had some other magic going on in there? Just curious how to replicate this onto my leleu spoked wheel hub, or the peugot starfish mag......

hub.jpg

paul massey /

my god ed your my new best friend im going to do this over the winter to my maxi because well breaking for 60 sucks lol.also how did you make that rear disk setup i would love to be able to really stop :)

Ed - Dead Possums /

There are pictures in the thread somewhere.

Couldn't find pics pf the inside of the rear wheel hub. Is it just bolts running through the hub alone, or did you fabricate a spacer for the inside too? Just curious, nice work..........

Ed - Dead Possums /

The bolts are long and run all the way through the sprocket. Wider than the hub.

Matched holes on rotor to the spacer and to the sprocket. Close fit but it works.

Thanks Ed, that sounds better than what I was assuming you did. I would like to try this as well, as disk brakes make me happy, and so do pedals.

Anyone find one of these that fits Puch/Peugeot spokes ?

That's what I have been pondering too Aaron.

80mm pulley?

That's probably suitable if it fits, who wants to fork up the cheddah to see?!

Are Rigida hubs for sure 80mm ?

Ed - Dead Possums /

Just make sure the other side is flat so you have a mounting surface. I have seen some that are concave.

Also make sure you can find a rotor with a bolt pattern small enough to fit within the pulley. Or drill your own.

I referenced this page, which may show the answer for Rigida hubs. I was thinking leleu would be what we needed?

reference site

Yea, I could see concave being a bit problematic, and incorrect sized rotors wouldn't be great either. Probably would have to make an adapter of some sort....

well shit I may have LeuLeu hubs on Rigida rims. Is that possible ? My wheels are covered in ice right now so I can't tell.

Hmmm.....this should also work on motobecane 6 star mags right??

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account