What performance parts do i need for my Kinetic TFR USA

Super Tightpants /

sup people, i just got a near mint 2004 Kinetic TFR USA Moped with less than 100miles on it, guess the guy i got it from had it stored in a locker for a few years. anyways, it is running mint, took a bit of tuning on the carb to get it to idle properly at first but everything is just fine now, i know people shit on these bikes but i love it, plus i payed DIRT on craigslist for it! so my question is..... i am looking into properly kitting this bike out, and i have done some research around but i cant seem to find a definitive answer as to what parts i would need to do it RIGHT. basically i am looking to get a 65cc or 70cc + "speed kit" as well as a new (better) carb, a nice performance exhaust pipe, dose anyone know EXACTLY what speed kit i need for the 2004 model Kinetic TFRUSA? and what carb is best for that KIT/BIKE setup? also what exhaust will best work for the setup i am trying to achieve? i know that i will have to up jet some after the modifications, especial with the new carb/kit involved. so if anyone can give me like a list of these 3 parts that would be best matched and fit on my bike i would really appreciate it. :) thanx! oh i have attached a photo of the bike with the few aesthetic modifications i HAVE made so far lol

Re: What performance parts do i need for my Kinetic TFR USA

All vespa kits will work.

Super Tightpants /

"ALL" Vespa Kits will work..... or just the CIAO ones?

any kit. only ciao head

Super Tightpants /

ah OK that's kool thanx :) but what i was looking for was more exact information as to what pipe, particular "kit" and carb....

Neil Burgess /

correct answer:

all of them.

all jokes aside- you'll need parts and a few mods. There's good info on vespa/kinetic here for the mods- but only a handful of available options for pipe or kit.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

What's your budget? Tell me how much (of your money) I have to spend, and we'll recommend something. Everyone has different preferences, riding styles and budgets. There's pros and cons to every part. How fast are you going now? If you think you're gonna go from 27mph, to 50mph, by just throwing some parts together, you're crazy. Take baby steps, increase your speeds 2 mph at a time.

Super Tightpants /

my budget for parts is around $250 - $350, the bike goes average 25mph but on a nice long flat with no wind in my face i can get it to about 32- 35mph i am looking to get it to go at LEAST 45mph, i have worked on mopeds in the past, owned at least 5 of them in my life, at one point i was able to "resurrect" a puch maxi (i think) that had bin sitting in a garage for almost 30 years... was in BAAAAD shape but i was able to strip it and clean it, then rebuild it and got it tuned up to the point where it was hitting 30mph consistently without having to buy any replacement parts, lucky find i guess lol, so i am not afraid to get down and dirty with any bike and i know if i just knew "exactly" what parts would work on this bike i would have no problem tuning it up after installation, jetting and all that good stuff :)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

If you knew how fast a hack saw can go through a Kinetic subframe, you'd re-think this.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2108107,2108107#msg-2108107

Super Tightpants /

things don't ever line up when thine MATHS is incorrect lols. but seriously i have NO PLANS of hacking at my kinetics sub frame... hence the reason i ask if anyone is aware of what EXACT parts will pretty much just bolt right onto this thing . i have no plans of "racing" or trying to "look" like i'm some sort of "super hipster 9000" on this thing..... just want to see if i can get a few more miles per hour out of it :) but thanx for the forum link, made for some entertaining reading material while i pinched a loaf ;)

"Measure twice and cut once." -that one smart fucker

Super Tightpants /

anyone have some more exact info on this yet?

Dr/polini 65, proma, intake modification along withdrilling out the carb to match, theres the standard setup. Just search and read a whole lot more. Theres like 9 billion different configurations for vespas. Do the research and LEARN

As has been mentioned before, it's the same as a one-speed vespa but with a 12v CDI designed to fit in the copy of the vespa points case. Read up in the wiki and do some searching, we have copied and translated all the kit/pipe/stock case tuning etc info from vespa-ciao.nl.

Vespas can be made fast, but are expensive to make fast fast. 45+ will be tough on Your budget, definitely rules out variating it, and probably aftermarket cases and fancy carbs. Good news is the carb and case can be opened up to 13mm, and with the rotary valve intake you can increase duration by cutting the crank. Again, read up on how to do this, it's all well documented. If You wnat to know what I'd suggest:

-65cc malossi (torquey, reliable, easy to port match), I haven't looked too deply in to the new kits in the last few years, may be some better choices around now. That olympia reed-valve looked interesting, and I suppose one could get all crazy and run two carbs.

-Bore carb to 13mm

-Bore intake to 13mm

-Case match to kit

-Cut crank to kit spec

-Proma or Tecno circuit (Pipe fit is similiar to ciaos, not much room for the header between the stand and pedals, so there are few choices without ditching one or the other or cutting and welding).

-Lighten clutch shoes

-Smaller rear pulley

-Tune

Again, all of this information is well documented, read through the how-to's etc, and let us know what questions You have.

This should have You under budget and flirting with the low 40s, If You are a full sized man like myself You won't be going much faster, steep hills may be a problem, and pedaling off the line will be required to save the clutch. In fact, buy some spare shoes or a ciao clutch for backup.

Good luck!

~M(edited)

PS: That's a hell of a rack, haven't seen that one before. Dig it so far, ditch the blinkers for some small ones, makes a world of difference.

Additional on head choices: you can use the big heads, just takes a few minutes with a belt sander to grind the fins down enough on the offending side.

Vespas do have as many choices as almost any brand out there. Polini's are fast, but a proper case match leaves just a sliver of sealing surface around the transfer ports, at least with a kinetic case, DR may be better.

Super Tightpants /

@CasseLOLers Tyler.............lol THANX (i guess) for the advise... i have done ALOT of research... was just looking to see if anyone had already done these modifications that way i can be a bit more confidant before jumping off..(edited)

Super Tightpants /

@Maciek Dub Thank you for the clear and concise reply, EXACTLY what i was looking for! i do have the room to "up" the budget, so i will look into the "variation " aspect of this project ") thanx ALOT!!!

YW, If You do go variated You will also want the tall gears for the rear trans or you will be maxing out the engine/vario rpms over 40. (then Your 30 year old clutch bell might explode and put a hole through your foot like it did to me, or worse)

best performance pats for a Kinetic is to get a new moped

Super Tightpants /

@Bryan Colliver Haters gonna hate.... My Kinetic TFR USA is GREAT,l i will never have "money issues" so i can afford a more "trusted" brand of moped, i find the the Kinetic appealing and stock i crews around town at 35+mph i was just trying to find out what the options where for this bike in after-market parts. i own 8 other brand new mopeds and have had many others in the years past, i have plenty of time and resources to enjoy any hobby i so choose one must always challenge themselves right :)

Andrew Squiggman /

you crews around town?

" i have worked on mopeds in the past, owned at least 5 of them in my life, at one point " Guajiro Konn

"@Bryan Colliver Haters gonna hate.... My Kinetic TFR USA is GREAT,l i will never have "money issues" so i can afford a more "trusted" brand of moped, i find the the Kinetic appealing and stock i crews around town at 35+mph i was just trying to find out what the options where for this bike in after-market parts. i own 8 other brand new mopeds and have had many others in the years past, i have plenty of time and resources to enjoy any hobby i so choose one must always challenge themselves right :) " Guajiro Konn

^

Sounds like the real challenge you face right now is telling the truth

If you park the Kinetic in the kitchen next to the highchair, (only safe place for it) where do you store the other 8 brand new mopeds ?

Just saying. --Hank Bukowski(edited)

damn, dumbass sc00ter box on that thing, man.

oh shit, you live in CT...

you might need my shop fer help.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/riders/johnnydoube/

especially because i'm doin' all that to a kinetic next week.

https://www.treatland.tv/shoppingcart.asp?

Did you ever trick out this moped? looking to do the same thing and am wondering what you followed through on.

Just do some reading on Vespa man, TFR is pretty much the same as a ciao but with CDI, so most people just refer to Vespa when talking about tuning.

peace,

~M

About the only Vespa engine bit swapping that won't work is the TFR USA crank. It is longerand narrower on the snout, so variators won't fit, and the stock clutch wwon't fit on a Vespa crank. So aftermarket crank=vespa variator/clutch, stock crank=stock clutch. The Cdi will fit either crank though.

^^^ important thing to mention, and also in the wiki :)(edited)

There was an offroad kit for the tfr USA in the original part catalog. It was a 90 cc kit. The kit came with a few things. Cant remember everything at the moment. I'll see if I still have it. They do have a high performance combustion chamber/muffler on ebay. For 75.00

I actually used to have a list of performance kit parts for that bike. I'm not sure if I still have it but it's actually different for this moped than the typical mopeds. I believe this one is belt drive instead of chain drive. So a pully kit might be a good start.

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's just a Vespa clone, there is a ton of crossover for the motor for power increase....

Also this thread is years old

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account