Why's my Ciao slower than my friend's Hobbit?

My Ciao is variated with a Polini variator, DR kit, Dellorto SHA 13.13 carburetor, techno circuit pipe. Tried both 60 and 66 jets, temps didn't change much, maybe a little more power with the 60 jet. It has good torque and tops out around 32mph. My friend's Hobbit also has a DR kit, has the stock variator and gearing, he's using a much larger carb - Mikuni 20, and is running some kind of circuit pipe. BUT, it has wheelie torque and tops out around 40. Is the design of the Hobbit motor just more powerful than my Vespa motor? Is it the larger carb? What do you think?* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: Why's my Ciao slower than my friend's Hobbit?

Yeti the Figg /

13:13 sounds a little under-powered for your set-up.

^but you cant really go bigger on a ciao

it's probably because you've got a ciao

unless you go balls out, theyre not as fast as an equivalently built hobbit.

Brandon Compton /

13.13 carb to a 20..... that is a big difference in flow.

familiar with ciaos? does not sound like it.

yes. likely. I think you both may need more tuning... How well are these two bikes variating... Do they variate fully/ too abruptly? Tuning spreadsheet will give you great starting points for the jetting, but the vario's may need different weights also.

Michael Thomas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> familiar with ciaos? does not sound like it.

This ^^

Also..you cannot compare dr kits..lol..

^ your ciao should be doing 40. A 60s range sounds too low to me. I would be running a 70-74 at sea level. Are you running a stock contra spring in the back? Are you sure you are variating all the way?

Weak-Ends Tj Wrote:

> Michael Thomas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > familiar with ciaos? does not sound like it.

>

>

> This ^^

>

> Also..you cannot compare dr kits..lol..

I ASSumed that the DR kits would be the same, guess not.

CHARLES GROMSON JOE PEG Wrote:

> ^ your ciao should be doing 40. A 60s range sounds

> too low to me. I would be running a 70-74 at sea

> level. Are you running a stock contra spring in

> the back? Are you sure you are variating all the

> way?

I am running a stock spring in the rear and I'm not sure it is variating all the way, I need to look into that.

Adam H Wrote:

> I ASSumed that the DR kits would be the same,

> guess not.

Nope. However, both bikes are capable of more.

How I check for full variation on a ciao is pretty easy. Take a marker and mark up the rear pulley half on the polini variatior, ride it around and see how much marker gets worn off. That will tell you how high the belt is riding. Change your weights to a heavier set if its not going very far up the pulley.

A variated dr ciao can be pretty fast but I wouldn't expect to beat that hobbit by any means unless you get a little crazier.

your variator tuning is bad bad bad. 32mph for that bike is really low. try lighter weights. Also, I'd bet your belt is worn/old or way too loose. Malossi belt and dremel the motor mount slots to tension it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, one more thing... I read on the Wiki that some (all?) techno circuit pipes have a resrictor welded into them that needs to be removed for best performance. Is this still the case? Is it the case for mine do you think? It's new, fresh from Treats last week.

^^^ Joe says heavy weights and Andy says light weights. .

^i said if its not variating all the way go heavier...

And if it is variating all the way then go lighter?

As light as possible until it stops variating fully. Even if his bike was variating way to early it should still pull faster than 32mph. I think the only belt worth runnin on a ciao is the malossi belt as well. It's really worth the $25 bucks it cost.

I've gps'd myself at 44.8 on a grande with the same setup and stock un-nothced variator.

Your jetting is way too low - I'm running a 72 in the exact same setup it's running pretty warm.

check timing, check for leaks, redo jetting - in that order.

Then your take off is the only question - your max speed should be the same regardless. If that still sucks, tune your variator.

If you're running all 6 weights, the stock contra is probably too weak to hold back the weight in the vario. Replace the contra, or take out three of the weights or go lighter. I highly doubt you're too light. All of that will help.

joe is expert. listen to him. (edited)

^exactly like I said about the jetting you should be higher unless you are at like 5,000 feet above sea level.

I am running a Malossi belt and I dremeled out my motor mounts to tension it. I bet it isn't variating all the way because of a weak rear spring as has been brought up earlier, I'll check it when I get home. I'm going to order these today:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=vespa-polini-springs-243%2E010&CartID=1

Francesco Martinelli /

try a better thermal group like polini d43 or d47, or malossi , they are more performant! carburettor is too small you need a 16/16 or 19/19 , the pipe is also very important , which one do you use?

Im so tired of people saying 13/13 is too small (it isnt) on a damn vespa. No one should ever say another word about a vespa carb unless they have spent at least more than 5 seconds looking at a vespa.

Sha 19/19 4 lyfe.

No sense in ordering new parts until you can tune what you ready have. Until you can make your bike do 40 with those parts - don't buy anything else.

how about people who dont tune vespas stop posting about his carb here????

I have gone 55 on a 13/13 vespa carb so its not too small. My 55cc vespa would keep up just fine with hobbits with dr kits and 21mm phbgs. He needs to up jet and tune his variator!

Wait... Does an sha 19.19 even exist? I was totally kidding

my dr kit ciao likes low 70's jets. and goes pretty fast. just put new rings on it and went back to the circuit pipe to wear them in a little. then back to the calibratta and my new 17 inch wheel. i'll break 50 on it.

Hey tim... tell me what it's like going from the calibratta from the circuit?

I love my circuit on campus... but if I take this thing to rallies, I'd like to keep up a little better.

Deadped Ryan Wrote:

> Wait... Does an sha 19.19 even exist? I was

> totally kidding

Haha, bog city til WOT. BRGHORGOGGLRRRBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!

Let's face ciaos are slower than hobbits with the same amount of work.. You can just slap a hobbit together and be blasting, vespas need some massaging to be that fast. That is not very helpful to you though.

1 did you rebuild the motor?

2 did you port match?

3 did you cut your crank

4 did you open up your intake

5 what gear ratio do you have in the rear wheel

These are all things you don't really have to worry about on a hobbit but make a big difference on a Vespa. Part of the fun I guess

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account