Hobbit crank case splitting

Trevor Bradley /

I searched around and wasn't able to find any info about splitting the crank case on a hobbit and I always like to ask before hammering, heating, or otherwise bashing on things.

Anyways, does anyone have any tips for getting the crank case apart on hobbits?

Re: Hobbit crank case splitting

Trevor Bradley /
tvox OP

shit... thanks

Forget that boil nonsense.

you guys work to hard.. HEAT the fucking cases!

I set it on my fireplace. Rotated every so often. Grabbed some welding gloves and tapped the case with a light mallet on the ears. Don't break em.

If its stubborn use a torch to heat one bearing race from the outside and hopefully it'll slide off or use a puller as above.

Mo Peds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you guys work to hard.. HEAT the fucking cases!

YES! haha... 250* and it splits like butter.

I wouldn't use a puller like that without a nut at the end of the crank. You'll mushroom the threads!

I just heated the area where the bearings sit with a torch and pulled it apart like nothing.

For reassembly, put the crank in the freezer and the cases in the oven, they slide right back together.

Honda dealer did mine with magic for 10 bucks......i was desperate..no tools around at the time.

250* in your moms oven for 10 minutes and they fall apart.

you mean high performance crank case splitting

campeona del mundo /

map gas torch 30 seconds or so and a rubber mallet. so basically what everyone else has said.

One tool for all cases... you and your friends will love it

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/73/270/731/-/17167/Tusk-Crankcase-Splitter-Separator

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account