anyone adapted a hobbit dr piston to circle clips?

Hi I'm thinking of buying the DR kit. I 've heard of the wrist pin clip coming out of these kits and distroying the cylinder when the wrist pin slides into the transfers. I've heard of it happening enough that there must be a real possibility of it happening sooner or later if you buy this kit. If I buy this kit I'd like to instail circle clips instead of the c clips that come with the kit. The problem with that is circle clips need flat walls and 90 degree corners in the piston wrist pin groove not rounded walls as the dr pistons come with .One of the ways I thought of changing the groove was by scraping the groove using a small piece of piston ring clamped in a small pair of vicegrips to make straighter walls. Don't know if that would work, it would take awhile that's for sure. Have any of you modified the dr piston groove to use a circle clip before ? Thanks Tim

Re: anyone adapted a hobbit dr piston to circle clips?

No, don't attempt to do that, you will just compromise the groove that is made for wire style clips.

I think you are talking about using internal snap rings?

Do not do that either. Those are not designed to turn 10,000 and the heavy end will eventually break off and with the same results as a jumper clip.

The only fire and forget method I have found is "open ended" style wire circlips

But to use these you have to mod your piston with a "dig well" so you can pry the clip out of you need.

You can build a dig hole in your piston using a hose clamp and a slow drill.

Be patient.

very nice

No I've never heard of what you used. Where do you get those? What I was talking about were automotive type circle clips. they are made of spring steel, very light spiral shaped flat wire . You have to cut hole just like in your picture, then start pushing end of clip in on one side of groove and keep pushing with a twisting motion till it's all in. there is no open end of clip. It's made kinda like a slinky same shape with the wire ends overlapping themselfs.

Ok, I remember using those on some auto app but can't remember what.

It all comes back to weather those will take the turns with out distortion and the end portion of the clip flippy flopping in the groove till a piece breaks away and comes to see the rings.

I say abandon this idea, but a good thought still.

Some wiseco 2 stroke pistons come with those clips.

Boy they sure are easier to install without bending, but I trust my own method and hand made tools for clip install.

Great info on the dig well cheetah! I picked up a set of opened clips and scratched my head over how to get them out if needed. Decided to use the single ended clips on the garelli polini, hope they hold

Jake can you remember if the clip groove was custom squared for the flat clip or not? I probably wouldn't have thought that far into it. Just like I didn't think ahead when I first used the open end clips. I have a piston that has a clip installed for life in one side. Then I caught myself and dug a well in the other side.

can you explain how these are different than the c clips that come with the dr pistons? They are both c clips right? What are the open ended clips bigger wire or something? Can you show us what your special tool you use looks like? Is it just a sharp pick used to snag an end to work it out of the groove? Thanks Tim

Maybe some people have trouble with the dr circlips, but i had no problem. The best plan might be to buy some good quality single or double ended clips and have extras on hand. I nelieve most circlip problems come from bending the clip when putting it in, which in my experience is even more likely on those "race" clips with no ends.

Yes Robert, you are right. You must have the custom hand made tool to install open end clips so that they are not loose

I try to install them by hand always. when they are tricky I use a pen behind to push it.

quit reusing circlips too!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account