Large Guy Moped Setups

Chris Simmons /

I am a large guy (6'5" and 280 pounds) and was wondering what other large guys are running for setups?

A few years ago I had a stock E50 and added an Estoril which made the Puch accelerate a lot better, but I never really figured out what the top speed was, speedo was pegged and didn't have a GPS at the time.

I would like to get 40-45 mph easily with excellent acceleration. Is that possible with my fat ass on it? I am not opposed to doing cylinder/case work, perfectly capable just haven't done it on a moped engine before. I am going to start tearing down the engine this weekend. I would like to buy new seals and bearings, and figured I will buy a new crank while I have it torn down and that seems to be a common item that everyone on the forum says to replace when kitting these engines. It may not require kitting it to get what I am looking for, but I will have it if I do need to and if I don't kit it then a new crank won't hurt anything anyhow.

I am interested to see what you guys are doing.

Thanks.

-Chris

Re: Large Guy Moped Setups

Totally normal JBOT /

Dual variation for you.

Derbi or hobbit.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

i am 6'5"240#. My hobbit out accelerates all other bikes at rallies and this weekend at Radium City rally i hit a GPS best of 57mph.

Fat Boy Setup:

Hobbit

70cc kit

Proma Pipe

Notched Variator or TJT

optional 21mm PHBG

optional stuffed crank

yup, its all about variation for us big guys.

Probably Fred /

2 speed puch polini or Gila can keep with hobbits any day

At least mine can

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

you are going to need a variator and a 21mm phbg

the rest is insignificant.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs, variator is crucial

i'm 195lbs 5'11" and I can go with a single speed or a variated bike, I guess i'm blessed.

Chris Simmons /
cjs OP

Guess I need to start digging for info when I get home. What is the best bang for buck when it comes to variators? Obviously an opinion based question, but would be nice if you had information to back it up.

im 6' 4" and 195 and i rock a puch with a gila or polini...

Zeke Rigg /

just rev to the moon and gear low. o yeah kit. 40 i is doable with a single speed a kit n carb even for us big guys. shoot i was pushing high 30s on a stockish fa 50 and i weight 200. milled head, pipe, port done.

Chris Simmons /
cjs OP

I guess I thought there was a kit to put a variator on a Puch, but from reading I was wrong as hell. I am familiar with variators from a few scoots that I have had. I had a stock Yamaha Jog that went 49mph with me on it, just removed the limiting washer.

I will look at kitting and gearing low. Are Polini and Gila the preferredlarge guy kits? Bought a Polini kit a few years, but never installed it. Does Joe Pyrek still sell moped parts?

I am 6'2 280lbs. I havent fallen in love with many single speed bikes. But I have had alot of fun on hobbits, derbi, vespa, and morini mo2. that being said I have had a single speed vespa with a tuned clutch and ridden a case inducte minarelli w/ case induction and tuned clutch that were plenty capable. Any of the variated bikes mentioned above are easy to get 40-45mph and beyond with great acceleration for bigger people. It is all about tunning the clutch and/or the variator. french bikes are an option too but seem to require more patience and money to reach the same effect as dual variated bikes.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

my v1 pulls well, even doubles at 400+lbs. just learn how to tune.

Bigger axles bro. I'm 230 lbs and noticed that every damn bike I have has a slightly bent rear axle.

Rusty P Shackelford /

6'5 350---- e50 polini / atomic 3 shoe/ hpi mini/ dio reed/ oko 24 / mlm rev run 17/45 I can get 52 out of her. Still more tweaking to be had.

Neil Burgess /

Yeah I'm 6'0 200lbs- My hobbit will rip up the steepest hill in town. I thought it was quick with me on it- then my 165lb brother-in-law hopped on it and was doing 50mph in 2 blocks lol.

I doubt you'll bend a hobbit rear axle. It's no wimpy 10 or 12mm shaft- more likely to bend the rim. And you'll need better shocks and bigger springs under the seat tho- I bottom mine out pretty easily.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

if you are under 200 lbs you totes dont qualify to the "big dudes moped club"

exceptions to be made for exceptional height :D

weird, nI wrote that I way 280lbs, I used to weight 180, now way 200. must of pushed those numbers together in my mind.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account