Runs good on flats but still looses power up hills

My 1980 Puch Maxi Luxe moped runs fine on flat land but now it looses power going up hills. I recently put on a new piston kit, which included a performance head and new piston ( new gaskets also ). It was a kit I bought from MopedJunkYard, which said it was a replacement for my existing High Torgue head etc. My moped starts and idles fine and seems to run smoothly untill I start going up hills ( then it basically boggs down and just quits climbing ). Because it was a new piston and head, should I try a larger jet to see if that helps. There don't seem to be any air leaks but I will start it up again later on today and try spraying carb cleaner near and around the manifold, head, carb etc to see if the engine starts to stall out. Would it be possible to install a new 15mm Bing carb and 15 mm manifold to replace my 12mm cab setup? I started a tread earlier and ask about modifing my E50 engine to go from 1-1/2 Hp to 2 HP, would this be something fairly easy to do. Maybe just put on and new 14mm manifold to try and get more air? I covered the carb when it was idling good with my finger ( on the airfilter side ) and the engine stopped.

Before I made any mods the bike would climb hills fairly well, but now on the same hills it just won't go up with bogging down to a stop.

I would really like more HP anyway to climb the hills better.

Re: Runs good on flats but still looses power up hills

Overpriced Parts /

Dmp 70 cc kit, modded 70cc head, techno circuit pipe, 14-15mm bing, 15 mm intake metal mesh filter, Thick/kickstart clutch springs, 17x40 gears, trail tech head temp gauge, point gap 17 thousand , Time at 16-17 degrees/mm before top dead center and break in at normal moped speeds for 300 miles.

I did/used this setup 12-15 times already with good results and speeds around 48mph with great take off and hill climbing .

Prolly around 400.00 new. Cheeper if you use used parts

Thanks for the info Ken. I do want to get more HP, but not that much. Do you think by just changing my 12mm intake manifold to a 14mm intake, I would get a little more power. Probably need a larger jet than the 48 I have now? Maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for your response and I can tell you know your stuff but I just need a litte extra power.

If I do decide to go this path, do you think I could get all the parts I need from the buy/sell forum on this website?

YOU ARE THA MAN ! Thanks

the one hp cylinder is very restricted at the intake port, you need to remove (pull) the restricter sleeve, the match the port to the 14mm intake. Also suggest you widen the exhaust port window 2or 3mm

Thanks Mel. My E50 engine is a 1-1/2 HP and the intake manifold is not restricted ( it's 12mm , no restrictor sleeve )

Overpriced Parts /

Yes used parts are a cheap/great way to learn you can get pipes/kits much cheeper on buy/sell

Once you ride a well tuned kitted bike you will be hooked

oh...

Ken.

I plan on just trying a 14mm intake for now to see it that helps. I checked for air leaks figuring that may be a problem ( sprayed carb cleaner around head, manifold, carb with engine running fairly rebbed up ) but the engine never faultered , so I'm guessing there are no air leaks.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a couple larger jets if I go to a 14mm intake from my original 12mm. I have a 48 jet now.

Corey

Overpriced Parts /

48 jet 212a atomizer is for 1 hp restricted cylinder not 1.5 or 2hp So some one changed something.

For 2 hp a 222 atomizer and 60 jet is needed

Spare parts manual says 2.12 atomizer with 48 main jet is for a 1.5HP Maxi Luxe............and that is exactly what I have.

I am just looking to get this moped back to good running condition after installing a new performance piston kit. Runs good but boggs down to nothing on hills now?

Overpriced Parts /

Well still throw away the 212a atomizer and use a #222

A 212a is just used to make your bike go slow

#3 cylinder/estoril/15 bing = so much win

Ken is not only brilliant...........he is funny....thank you Ken.

corey...if you can find one throw a 14mm carb on there along with the 14 intake...you'll be happier.

i too have a 1.5 maxi (it's a nostalgia)...did the stock exhaust mod but everything else is stock...except the 14mm bing carb/intake...i can pull most hills at about 20-25...top speed is about 32 it's jetted at a 68 and i'm at a mile high

Thank you Matt................it is a wealth of info on this forum and sometimes I get confused by all the answers. I am trying to find a 14mm bing and intake for my moped as we speak. Someone sent me a thread about converting a 1.5HP to a 2HP and I believe it involves a upgrade to a 14mm Bing.

I haven't had my Moped out in a couple weeks and it is killing me, gonna miss the last part of my groundhog hunting season.

Thanks for the info

Corey

sure thing corey...a lot of folks here like to make there ped fast but for me anyway, if i can get it running decent and have fun then i'm happy...i have a motorcycle to go fast...i can't imagine going 50 mph on one of these things...

p.s. if ya kill the groundhog how are we gonna now when winter ends...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account