General Top Tank Kit

Zachary Price Carpman /

Hi guys well I just picked up a general top tank that runs awesome stock, except for one thing, it has very little compression left after 7000 miles. It has a motori minarelli engine on it that I know have a bunch of kits available to improve performance and would get my compression back but I am a novice to kit installs. I guess my question would be which Kit should I buy as a novice and what carb would I match it up with, and what kind of tips and suggestions would you give to a first timer like me?

Re: General Top Tank Kit

80cc polini

^ the polini kits are the best for them. They are cast iron and can take a beating. I run a 21mm Dell carb on mine currently and a Motion Left pipe.

polini is best for noobs i say its forgivein

Zachary Price Carpman /

So if i buy the 80cc polini kit and the 21mm dellorto carb is it pretty much plug and play from there?

you might have to run windows update

its a great kit for everyone. Cast Iron is the way to go always.

That is just my set up, you dont have to go with a 21mm, you can use a 19mm as well, Mikuni flatsides are a good choice too. Once your carb is tuned real good you'll ride really smooth.

will the stock clutch hold up ok with the polini 80cc ?

make sure you port match the intake and exhaust, they are both terribly small out of the box.

Zachary Price Carpman /

Anyone have a link to which carb/intake will work for the 80cc polini kit?

My favorite combo is the Weak-ends V1 intake paired with the Mikuni vm20 .

On my General I am running that set-up with a modified Puch treats pipe . . . ported and case matched top speed GPS 56.6mph at 12/40 gears right now and plennnnty of power getting there.

Definitely would recommend these two for the V1 Polini... the Mikuni carbs are much easier to tune and dial-in compared to the PHBGs. Plus the vm20's stock idle jet and needle work great for this set-up ; saves ya lots of dough, especially if you hunt for a carb on eBay or elsewhere.

just my two cents!

Stock clutch is fine... however you should ditch the stock springs and run stiffer ones like eds blue or yellow V1 springs.

Welding the 4 pins of the stock clutch is also recommended when running stiffer springs. . . this helps the clutch not blow to to pieces when engaging at relatively high RPMs.

Darrell Gabbard /

as a novice i would ask how fast do you want to go and whats your knowledge of carbs?

Zachary Price Carpman /

Going fast is really not what I am looking for, as of right now on flats once she gets going I can go around 35-37 and that is plenty fine with me. The lack of power up hills and off the start is what I don't like. My knowledge of carbs is pretty good, I have owned 3 peds now and taken many carbs apart, cleaned, adjusted throttles, and messed with jetting. Speed is not what I am looking for it is performance I guess

Yes Ed's clutch springs are the best! After using one of them I never want to go stock spring again! Ed Springs Foreva!

regardless, if you're looking for performance and reliability definitely get new bearings and seals . . . especially if your motor has 7000+ miles.

Run non-detergent SAE 30w oil to prolong the life of your clutch and transmission. Be gentle with your starter clutch too, as some of the weaker components (namely the ball-bearing in the starter plate and the leaf-springs on the inside of the transmission cover) can melt away if you're careless.

since you're looking for low-end power. see the post in this thread regarding stiffer clutch springs, look up clutch tuning in general, and think about getting a low-mid pipe such as the V1 mamba or other circuit pipe.

Darrell Gabbard /

buy another V1 to rebuild over the winter so you can have a fresh engine for the spring. if speed is not the issue then i recomend the Autisa (if you can find one) or the olympia kit at treats

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account