Another Gila Clutch victim

Was about to run my Gila on my ZA50 again after two years in storage. Good thing I looked in the tranny before I did. Check it:

ZA50 1st gear clutch - 1.JPG
ZZ50 1st gear clutch - 2.JPG
ZA50 1st gear clutch - 3.JPG

Re: Another Gila Clutch victim

Any way I can fix it? Where I can find new clutch material? And what glue to use? I've been reading JB Weld and Devicon?

What transmission fluid were you running and what spring stiffness were you running in your gears?

McMaster (link), has the materials, not sure on the adhesives. Any liquid/heat resistant epoxy should work. I think JB weld and Permatex have some that you can buy at any autoparts store.

Overpriced Parts /

Just post for a new clutch

They go for like 25-35 bucks shipped on buy sell

Yep, just grab a new one. If you want later engagement put the stiffest tomos spring in it from treats. Way easier than drilling all those holes.

Overpriced Parts /

I meant new to you used clutch

looked at the endless threads on tomos clutch material. might go that route just to see how difficult it is. i got other clutches that need relining. if unsuccessful gonna buy new ones. mad mike said he would hook me up.

i got stiffer springs from treats. anybody running the red ones? too much for a gila? uncut?

did the holes on my press long time ago. no problems either way.

running atf at that time. spring was stock but cut. not a good job back in the day.

don't cut the spring, install it! the 30lbser probably will burn the material off the pad. go with relined by a shop and don't mees around with homebrew bullshit, imo the kevlar will out last us with a 30lbser. Hope you have enough ass and strength in your hands and fingers to press that red spring on. (edited)

i made an installer for za50 clutch springs. will share it later. as soon as i get this bike running. after further research and advice on this thread i'll probably just pick up some from mad mike. i'll experiment relining new clutches when i return home to hawaii. thanks for the advice all.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account