Simonini circuit performance pipe 103 WTF?

So I ordered this pipe because I heard it would mount right up to my 103 and allow me to keep the pedals and the center stand. Well it won't fit between the center stand and it I mount it on the right side there is no way it will clear the pedals. Sure I can beat on it, bend it around, break it and reweld it but Treats says it mounts up with "zero" complications?

I'm also trying to figure out how this mounts using the adapter flange for threaded heads? I can screw it in and there are some springe just not sure how all that shit mounts up? Did I mention my launch lever is also in the way? Sons a bitch.

Anyone have a photo of their bike with this setup?

Thanks,

Brent Braun

Re: Simonini circuit performance pipe 103 WTF?

This is why someone needs to remake the Polini Top One. A nice Hand made one would probably not crack and fall apart as quickly as the hydro-formed Polini did.

Brent Braun /

Seriously WTF? I spent all day hacking cutting welding bending beating shortening and all together reconfiguring this exhaust and the pedal still hits the damn thing.

I do not understand how this thing would ever fit a stock setup. There just isn't enough room between the center stand and the pedal crank. I'm still looking for photos from anyone who is running this on a stock 103.

Thanks,

Brent Braun

I hate it when that happens !,ask Benji at treats WTF

Just bend that pedal.

Brent Braun /

Won't bending the pedal make it feel wonky?

And won't it just bend back over time when load is applied?

Someone has to have photos of them running this set up.

David Theriault /

Is the pedal arm mounted all the way out on the crank arm spindle? a cottered crank usually has some amount of positioning variance because the cut for the cotter pin on the axle is wider than the pin itself. Bending the crank-arm will make it feel a little wonky, but not that bad for just getting it started, and you could always do a compound bend that regains pedal alignment. The forces required to bend the crankarm would be far greater than those applied while riding your ped and you would not have to worry about the steel returning to its previous shape.

I ran this setup and it cleared both my pedals and center stand though just barely with no bending of crankarms. Fully variated it did scrape my chain tensioner ever so slightly and I ended up removing the pedal chain and crankarms anyway. As for the exhaust mount itself I fabricated one, so I can't really help you with the adapter. sorry, no pictures though. good luck.

Brent Braun /

David, I figured out the mounting adapter it seems to work pretty well. As far as the exhaust I shortend the baffle by about 2" and as shortend the pipe where it goes into the baffle by another 1". I thought about bending the center stand or the pedal and as you say that maybe my only option.

For now I'm going to upjet and make sure I get the performance boost I'm looking for before I worry much more about the pedals hitting the exhaust.

I'm still bummed that this didn't just mount up with no modifications. I did tons of research about this before buying and this seemed to be the way to go. Maybe the one I got was just welded wrong? Or maybe the center stand on my 103 isn't the original stock. All I know is this has been a major pain in the ass.

i love this pip its on my pug

I had this pipe. Fit right on to my 103 without modification.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

mine also fit with only slight shortening of the mounting bracket. clears both pedals and exhaust. actually the pedal does barely scrape the baffle, but i'm happy with it.

i also second the polini top one. that pipe is great for milder builds, wish i hadn't sold the last one i had, i'd be runnin git over this simo

It's noisy though

Ive heard mixed mixed reviews on mounting these things. Some have problems, some dont. Ive never mounted one on my bike. (edited)

Yeah I love my top one and yes it is loud as hell for such a little pipe. As for the circuit pipe brent, keep a close watch on it. They tend to destroy themselves. The ones ive seen break the mounting bracket, the seams start to break apart and ive also seen the pipe completely break at the header. While you're still fabricating on it, you may want to add some extra bracing to help with the destructive vibration the pug motor puts out. As for the performance, I thought it was a great pipe. Pulled very well in the low and mids. Just some knowledge i'd throw your way.

I'll take some pics of mine tonight. You will break the mounting bracket... You will break off your baffle. Like Nick said. Take some pics of what you have done to yours. I'm just curious.

Brent Braun /

Charlie I will take some pics as soon as I get home. If I going to reinforce the mounting bracket where does it usually break? Or should I just weld the shit out of all of it?

I used my baffle as a lUNCH lever, then it feel off.

I welded it on like a man, it don't fall off now, (plus I changed the angle to never touch pedals now) and sometimes I use it as a lUNCH lever still.

It goes nice off-road on powerline gravel roads, with that pipe.

LOLz Johnny. I love riding the powerline runs on my peds. I can skip across the whole city in no time and I only have to cross a few streets.

The concrete water drainage ditch things are pretty nice also if you have them in your city.

Brent Braun /

Here are the photos of the small adjustments I made to the exhaust.

You can see in the second photo how its impossible for the baffle to clear the pedals and the center stand. All I really did was cut about and inch out of the exhaust and also shortened the baffle by about an inch and a half.

Its driving me crazy that this damn thing doesn't fit. Oh well I'm now off to Up Jet to see if I can get the performance I'm looking for. If so Ill work a bit harder on making this sons a bitch fit. I am still interested in seeing photos of this setup actually working.

Thanks,

Brent Braun

294491_4060445841129_1030907182_n.jpg
431128_4060447001158_15026330_n.jpg
539416_4060448281190_209699028_n.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account