pug 103 + sha tuning help

pug 103 stock except for lightened variator wts and a SHA 15.15 with matching mallosi intake and de-restricted stock pipe...top speed is around 32 if i let it wind out downhill.

i've been trying to get this thing tuned but i need some feedback from the experts.

runs fine but i was worried i was lean, chked the plug it's nice tan color after running a 65 jet and taking most of the screens out of the airfilter (one screen with a scothchbrite pad...)

anyway, the thing goes slow uphill (15mph) and the top end just doesn't seem there. played with different combos of screens...if I added screens it bogged...if i removed some it rode much better (higher top speed and better climbing)...if i upjet it really bogs down.

now, I've down jetted (i'm a mile high so that's expected) to a 63 jet and one pretty open screen. it really seems to be going in the right direction but i kinda don't wanna sieze the engine, plus, there really is barely a screen in there now and i'm thinking i might be sucking in to much dust. thinking of kitting this winter, replacing seals and gasket and maybe a new pipe...don't wanna lose the kickstand or pedals...

any opinions??? I'm thinking i should downjet further for now and maybe throw some more restriction in the airfilter...am i stupid?

thx

Re: pug 103 + sha tuning help

I have the exact same set up and mine does 50 on a slight downhill with 4500 miles on original engine, but I'm at 650' elev. I think you are lacking air up there. I took my peds to a ski resort once, and they ran much slower even after rejetting. However Ithink you're jetted pretty close, but you may want to check the timing.

yeah...that's in the works and new points too but I may wait till the winter teardown for that....the thing that bugs me is that the common theme here is I should be going faster for as well as it runs right now

mel, how many screens are you running? and what jet? i may drop to a 61 and see what happens...

anyone from high elevation have a pug?

Did you take off the 2mm lip on the top of the exhaust port ?

no screens out stock filter, exhaust lip gone, can't remember jet

have yet to grind the lip off...can it be done with engine on the bike?

nevermind...found the answer...guess I could pull the head and cylinder to do it but if I'm gonna do that during winter teardown...i'll just grind it then.

was thinkin tho' what if i just pull the head, drop the piston down past the exhaust port shove a rag in there to keep the shavings out, dremel and vacuum it out...probably a bad idea...

not worth the risk, once the head is off, the cylinder just slides off, worst case is you may need a new base gasket. you may also find the exhaust port was carboned up too.

true...may give it a shot this weekend...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account