carb problem

running a vm22 with matching intake and 2 pedal carbon reeds on a 70cc alukit. I've jetted the bike as low as it will go with the exception of changing the needle. It's a 22mm carb and it came stock with a 33 idle jet and 100 main. I've gone down to a 10 idle jet/ 75 main(2 1/2 turns out on mix screw) which makes it start without a problem with the choke on, the problem is as soon as you take the choke off it dies and will not stay running. Turn the choke back on it starts and runs fine. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Note: you can ride it with the choke on till it gets to second gear then it loads up and starts backfiring.

Re: carb problem

forgot to mention this is on a 95 targa lx a35

if your bike or any bike runs better with choke, it's too lean, try a 25 idle,.....and read up on carb tuning

i was at a 25 idle and it just floods the shit out of it

Ok, but if you need the choke on you are lean somewhere. (jets dirty, float level low, small jets, needle jet to small, or needle to fat or low,)

I have heard from some different websites that the vm22 comes with a really fat needle. The carb is super clean. I've checked and made changes to everything except the float level, I honestly dont know how to change that. I've tried a slightly larger idle with the choke off and even just going from a 10 to a 15 gives me a wet foul. I think thats why I'm getting confused with this thing because it will start choked with a 10 idle jet, but with the choke off anything bigger just fouls the plug. It doesnt help that I cant start it myself(wheelchair) i have to wait for my son to get home to kick it and keeping his attention for more than 15 minutes is tough when working on this thing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account