Disc Brakes, caliper and disk fab up

hey, so i got this 190mm disk from riggsby for free, and i milled it on a tomos sprocket. and it bolts up pretty center now. but im mocking it up on the frame/forks now, and it's shy, only making about half the contact with the pads.

cons of trying to run this?

its not a 60+mph bike or anything i just have the parts lying around.

thought about moving the caliper and tapping some new holes, but i cant get much more before it touches the lowers.

should i just spring for a 210mm disc?

IMG_20120815_214619.jpg
IMG_20120815_214627.jpg
IMG_20120815_214642.jpg

Re: Disc Brakes, caliper and disk fab up

SABAT! andDestroy /

Please. Never run this, ever. you could easily shatter the pad or jamm it resulting in you never stopping or going over the handle bars. either way. Going to hurt. seen this happen on a mountain bike never mind something with some punch. In theory it could work but it could fail in the most epic way ever. your life your choice. upgrade to bigger rotor. Also it will only run like 40% stopping power IF it works.

It will work, though not as well as a bigger rotor and bigger caliper. But you should try and get maximum pad coverage. There's no way to get more pad to disc coverage?

I did a similar thing recently to my hobbit but with 100% coverage. Works pretty good, but it's not as good as a big'un setup. Better than the drums though. (edited)

um.... flip the wheel weld a lower bracket on the other side. Done.

I got the caliper that came in the set with that rotor. We can definitely work something out for it if that will help.

Scary sabat, scary

SABAT! andDestroy /

yeah, i mean it would work ok without shattering, jamming bad shit, except that its a cool looking toothed rotor. and i think it would bite because of it.

idk, anyone want this disc, ima look for a 210.

I ran a 200mm rotor on a scoot with about the same amount of pad contact. Brakes worked fucking great!!! I had a similar issue of not having the clearance needed to get the caliper lower on the disk. This disk is SOOOO thick...not like a shit little mountain bike disk. I think it'll work fine and stop well.

Yess, 200 is a perfect size.

timothy rendall /

Hello From the UK! I agree with Rambo don't run with this set up.[/b].............. get a bigger disc............. you need 100% pad contact for it to work safely.

just imagin your going along and a big semi truck pulls out in front of you! you pull the brakes on hard and the pads meat each other and thats all they do as the disc isn't in between them and you dont' stop!!!!!!

SABAT! andDestroy /

ar80 disc measured 210. so i think 20 more mm will do find, otherwise ill turn it on the lathe.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account