Treats pipe or BiTurbo? A55

is it worth the extra money for treats pipe? let me know

Re: Treats pipe or BiTurbo? A55

stock or kitted set-up??

if you're running near stock, there's no point in spending for the treat pipe, rock a biturbo.

however if you're churning some RPMs with a kit, the treats pipe is a clear winner...

wider powerband and expansion chamber, quieter performance, baffle won't rattle off on you one day, and it's definitely on the prettier side of the pipe spectrum. has my vote all day, i've got one on my minarelli v1.

what if i upjetted with 22t sprocket and air filter..? still treats?

Jonny Appleseed /

the biturbo is going to perform better on a stock cylinder. Also, youre going to have to upjet regardless of which pipe you choose. And changing the rear sprocket does not change the RPMs the engine is producing.

I just upgraded from a biturbo to a treats pipe on my kitted A55. Ran the biturbo before I kitted and it produced a good top speed, albeit the low-mid range performance was less then ideal. However, that is the trade off you make on a stock cylinder when shooting for a high top speed.

carl jepsen /

Jonny Appleseed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the biturbo is going to perform better on a stock

> cylinder.

why

The biturbo does not perform better than the Treats pipe ever. Biturbo's are for kids in new jersey and people that hate their neighbors. And hate themselves every time they replace the baffle.

Jonny Appleseed /

Here's a direct quote from Graham Bell's 2 stroke performance tuning manual discussing what the ideal dimensions of an expansion chamber should be -

"The length of the diffuser is determined by the diameter to which it expands, which should normally be 2.5 times the exhaust port diameter. If you have room on the bike, and you wish to experiment, you may be able to spread the power range by making the diffuser taper to 2.7 - 2.9 times the port diameter."

On a stock cylinder the exhaust port is very small. This means that ideally, a smaller diameter expansion chamber (such as the one on a biturbo) will perform better across the entire throttle range.

On a kitted bike, the exhaust port is much, much larger. Because of this, a larger expansion chamber can be efficiently utilized, such as the treats pipe.

From a strictly performance standpoint I believe the biturbo would perform better on a stock cylinder, however I can vouch that the quality of it is complete crap. The silencer on my old biturbo rattled apart and the stinger inside literally broke in half after about 1500 miles.

If you're looking for maximum performance go for the biturbo. If you're looking for a future proof pipe that will last and work well with a kit if you so choose to upgrade, grab the treats pipe. (edited)

Jonny Appleseed /

the only part of that statement that was accurate was the bit about the baffle being a piece of shit

carl jepsen /

good job picking a single point out of context and summing the characteristics of a pipe to one dimension. wrong answer, try again. actually, don't. Since you yourself admitted to not trying both pipes on a stock cylinder, your opinion is not warrented.

I have actually used a biturbo and a treats pipe on the same A55 bike and made my recommendation based on the fact that I rode it. But whatever. Make shit up if you want.

Jonny Appleseed /

. , Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> good job picking a single point out of context and

> summing the characteristics of a pipe to one

> dimension. wrong answer, try again. actually,

> don't. Since you yourself admitted to not trying

> both pipes on a stock cylinder, your opinion is

> not warrented.

If you'd really like to make a debate out of it I can surely pick several other points to accurately support my opinion and refute your's.

For starters, every pipe has a 'tuned length'. the biturbo's and the treats pipe are obviously different. The formula used to determine the ideal 'tuned length' for a pipe is a function of exhaust duration and the RPM you wish to tune the pipe to work best at. Furthermore, the exhaust duration of a stock cylinder and a kit are different. This is due to variations in port sizes. Now, based on the dimensions i discussed in my previous post, we can already ascertain that this pipe was not designed around the stock cylinder. When the creators of the treats pipe determined what it's 'tuned length' will be, they likely used the exhaust duration from a kit. Naturally, this would make it's tuned length less-then-ideal for the stock cylinder. However, this does not necessarily mean it would perform badly.

In addition, cylinder volume (CC's) is considered in a formula when determining the ideal length of a header. Again, the length of the biturbo's and the treat's are different. Not only is that an indication that the treats was designed for a kit, it is another reason why I believe it would not be ideal for a stock cylinder.

There's more factors that I don't feel like explaining (such as stinger length and diameter) that would further indicate my opinion that the pipe would perform better on a kitted bike then stock. What you apparently didn't seem to understand is that pipe dimensions are correlated with cylinder volume. Because of this it is to be expected that some pipes will perform better on stock cylinders and some will perform better on kitted cylinders.

For some reason, it seems like you automatically assumed I was bashing the treats pipe. I just implicitly stated that I believe the performance of the biturbo on a stock cylinder would be better then that of the treat's, perhaps trivially. I want to make it clear that I believe the treats pipe is a great pipe that offers great performance on both kitted and likely stock bikes as well. And it's not as if I was speaking out of my ass either... clearly i have fact to back up what i'm saying.

I'm running a biturbo on a stock e50...13x45 gearing....feels like a damn variated bike...pulls from get go to about 32 with a 15mm SHA running rich. I think the biturbo makes a gutless stock bore sound pretty grunty and act pretty grunty if set up properly. Mine is used...no issues with the baffle besides it being ugly gold colored...I wire wheeled that problem away tho. Not an A55, but biturbo is pretty decent on a stock e50 for sure.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account