kitted 95 targa lx

70cc(45mm) alukit,high comp head, carbon reeds, weekends intake, techno circuit pipe, vm22 carb(17.5 pilot/ 75 main), k&n filter, 52:1 premix. Having problems with the bike backfiring after it shifts in 2nd gear and get about half throttle. If you go past half throttle it wants to bog pretty bad, but is very responsive up to that point. If I'm thinking correctly would the timing be off if it is backfiring like that? Also not sure what carb adjustments to make from this point to fix the bogging with the throttle at halfway. 2nd question, I've never had a 2 stroke that is this hard to start. You have to spray starting fluid in it everyday to start it and once it warms up its fine until the engine is cold again then you have to spray it again, any ideas? (edited)

Re: kitted 95 targa lx

Overpriced Parts /

Jetting problem it seems to

Me

I agree, but I just cant see the jetting being off making it that hard to start. It almost starts like a four stroke, once its warmed up its not bad at all to start, but man when it's cold you might as well forget it.

Try jetting down a size. Sounds like you are loading up the pipe. You may want to first try doping the needle setting. Also make sure you adjust the air fuel mixture screw properly. Good Luck.....

FYI a tell if you are jetted to rich in higher throttle the bog sounds like you are running under water.

ok I'm currently at the top clip on the needle, 17.5 pilot, 80 main, 1 and 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. It will start and idle fine when the choke is on, but as soon as you turn the choke off it dies instantly and throttle input while turning the choke off doesnt help. If I understand correctly at 0 to quarter throttle the pilot and the air mixture screw have the most effect, is that right? (edited)

Have you installed new crankshaft seals since it is a 1995 moped. They don't last for ever. First thing I do to ever old moped I touch.

No I have not, i did tear it down and everything looked good in the bottom end, but it couldnt hurt to replace them anyway.

WIth the Needle as LEAN as Possible Still some fuel does get past the Needle at 0 throttle because the Idle Screw DOES Lift the Slide and Needle.

I saw this because mine (A55 with a Kit and 17.5 Carb) has started to start Harder than usual! I do have it running perfectly otherwise but have changed back & Forth between the 40 and 50 Start Jet. I have to give it about 1/2 throttle with the Choke (Fuel enrichment Circuit) on.

After thinking about it for a while my thought is that the Timing is slightly retarded! Tonight I will remove my RIght side cover and check over everything maybe some filth from the chain got in and is messing things up!

The Bogging?? While riding along try using the Choke ANd then seeing if the Bog remains! Lean and rich will bog an engine and your needle Position is MORE than Lean! When youi give it the gas and you have cut off all of the gas it surely cannot run good! Lowering the clip (Raising the Needle WILL help the start issue to boot!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account