1980 Puch Maxi Luxe Problem.. Please Help

Tanner Sweitzer /

I own a 1980 Puch Maxi Luxe. It starts up fine and runs fine. When I try to accelerate and pull the throttle it does for a little bit then it slips out. Then it will just try to accelerate back up on its own. It doesnt ever just shut off, it has no problem running. Gas is fine I just filled it up.

Re: 1980 Puch Maxi Luxe Problem.. Please Help

Tanner Sweitzer /

There is a video link of the problem. You tell by seeing anything in the video, but just listen. It really struggles going uphill and thats usually when it slips out.

Overpriced Parts /

Banjo filter on carb could be blocked

Take it out and run a inline paper element fuel filter.

Your petcock filter in tank could be blocked .

You may have a poor/old gas /oil mix

Did you fill with fresh 50 to 1 gas oil mix?

Tanner Sweitzer /

Yeah I filled it with a fresh gas mix. How hard is it to check if the banjo filter is blocked? Or if the petcock filter is blocked? Thanks for the help

Check out the wiki pages on carb cleaning, and also look at the Bing page for an exploded view of your stock carb (if it's stock). Between those resources cleaning the Bing is a pretty simple job. Also check your float level (instructions on the Bing page for that)

To check fuel flow at the petcock, pull off the fuel line and hold something under the petcock to catch the fuel that comes out. Turn it on and let it run for a bit. You should get a nice little stream of fuel. If it's an unsteady or weak trickle you might have a clog.

Also take a look at the condition of the tank and of the premix that comes out. Clear fuel filters and line are good for this. If there's a significant amount of rust in your tank you will likely be able to see it in the fuel.

Also, the "Troubleshooting guide" in the wiki will walk you through the different places fuel flow could be interrupted

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account