Want to hit 35 mph on ssxl

Christopher Jones /

well I have a factory 25 mph garelli ssxl I recently bought and would like to make it alittle faster. I've set the timing and rebuilt the carb. So the motor runs great just not as fast. I bought a aftermarket cone filter and it will idle with it but thats it. I tried up jetting it to a 53 then a 55 but it just stalls if you give it any throttle.

What can I do to hit 35 or close without a 70cc kit. Id like to get more of a feel for the bike.

Re: Want to hit 35 mph on ssxl

exhaust let restriction in the top end let the gasses out lets you go fast(er) with that you should be able to run a little bit of an upjet due to better flow going through the engine.... just a thought ^_^ and a place to start

This much I know, which isn't much, is that the main jet' s role is later in the output curve of a carb. There is a wonderful book on the wiki on dellorto carbs and how the structure of the carb and its utilization of the Venturi effect works at all stages of throttle. So people will be quick to say that the progressive phrase ie starting atabout 1/4 throttle in which the idle circuit undergoes a metamorphosis into a progressive phase under the influence of that part of the carb often referred as the emulsion tube needs attention in your case. Read about that tube and the needle etc for a while and your issues will become clear. What to do about it and the courage to really mess with the carb....let me know how that's going...I am trying to muster the courage to tackle that on this newly found passion.

+1 exhaust mods.... if this is a no budget for pipe either......the stock ssxl pipe, it separates at the chamber/header....slide it off and drill a halfinch holes through the walls of the header stinger that is inside the chamber when mounted (its pinched at the end to restrict flow and a couple extra holes in that internal stinger give you more flow which will let you run that slightly bigger jet)

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

I was able to get over 40mph with my 50cc stock Garelli cylinder. Put a performance exhaust on , then upgrade the carb. I put on a 15.15 PBHG with a 15mm Puch intake. I also geared it 9/28, I also have the BRN clutch and high compression head. I set this up for better low/mid range, so higher top speed is maybe possible. This set-up is great for around town/daily rider.

Christopher Jones /

What pipe did you use. I would be ecstatic to hit 40 with a good midrange. I'm not looking for faster.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

Gianelli record.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account