Puch polini timing Ender

since i aquired my first polini kit last year at the Gettysburg rally i have been having nothing but problems with it. With my first setup i was snagging the piston ring on the exhaust port after breaking 4 rings and having several different setups i rote it off that the cylinder was faulty. Last week i picked up a brand new setup. a minty frest D polini 64cc kit. after my first ride it looked like this.(see pics)

I hear alot of different opinions about timing some as low as 1.1 btdc(https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3114386) and some as high as 1.7 (https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3102337,page=1before top dead center) his cease looks identical to mine. i need find out what exactly is the correct timing.

IMG_0007[1].JPG
IMG_0008[1].JPG

Re: Puch polini timing Ender

That's from not reading how to build a polini. You over tightened the intake and warped the cylinder causing it to seize. Better luck next time

http://puchmaxituning.blogspot.se/2012/07/polini-maxin-skar-pa-premiar-turen.html

You do not feel alone .. :-( I begin honestly to doubt Polinis cylinders to Puch.

I have done exactly EVERYTHING that goes now .... but I'm nervous every time that shit will go into a thousand pieces

I think he used shorter bolts then the stock polini ones....

yeah there is only one way that happens and it's from over tightening the intake.

but to answer your question, you want 1.0-1.1mm BTDC

1.7mm BTDC is way too advanced for a puch polini.

Salsa Salsa /

AHHH, i am sorryl. that sucks.

how do you set up your polini?

take us thou your steps.

Probably Fred /

I go anywhere for thousands and thousands of miles with my polinis and think nothing about it .

Best puch kit that doesn't need case boring.

Mine polinis time out 15.5-17/mm degrees btdc whatever makes them run cool some run a little cooler then others so I can advance the timing more.

I run points though. Hpi or a curve ignition works best for kits to keep them cool

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

See here we have 1.7mm BTDC and 17BTDC in the same thread.

Please please please realize what you mean to type. Your bike wont notice a difference in 1-1.7mm BTDC...

1mm = 1 degree on a puch flywheel.

17mm BTDC = 17 degrees before top dead center (which is full advance if I remember correctly.

1mm BTDC = 1 degree before top dead center, and will run very very cool (all the head is going out the exhaust) but wont be fast.

uh no

Yeah, disregard what Beard Road Bruiser said.

wow just so wrong... i was at 1.1mm btdc on my puch polini and hitting low mid 60s with awesome low end. beard road... you need to check out mikes "new moped army rule" in the general forum.

Salsa Salsa /

Boooya. You tell him ryan.

I would tell you to gas port it. But that's against the rules too.

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

Wait, yea, I was wrong. Had a few beers and had been working in the sun when I wrote that. Degrees are not correlated to mm measurements.

(edited)

Probably Fred /

Degrees on flywheel and mm on flywheel are the same though

Because the flywheel is about 360 mm and a circle is 360 degrees

That's the ticket Beard!!! Stay out of Hot Tubs too!

Simon Lundqvist Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> http://puchmaxituning.blogspot.se/2012/07/polini-m

> axin-skar-pa-premiar-turen.html

>

>

> You do not feel alone .. :-( I begin honestly to

> doubt Polinis cylinders to Puch.

>

> I have done exactly EVERYTHING that goes now ....

> but I'm nervous every time that shit will go into

> a thousand pieces

Me cease looks identical to yours

This is my setup

polini "D" 64cc kit

Mikuni 24tm

Rito Crank

Full bearing rebuild

Stock clutch

Malossi 4 petal reedblock

15x45 gearing

treats cdi

Im not sure of what my timing was before i retimmed yesterday but i did have to move the stator plate quite a bit to get it to 1.15mm is this still to retarted? My carberator is still untuned so my temps could be because of this but i was running 387 at 31.mph(gps).

to be clear im using this as my timing tool. https://www.treatland.tv/buzzetti-micrometer-p/buzzetti-ignition-micrometer.htm and i am not at (1.fifteen) im inbetween 1-2 (.5 mm difference)

you need atleast a 180 or 190 main in a tm24

Probably Fred /

I ran 200-210 jet in my tm 24 polini combo.

It's easy just retard timing and jet correctly until you run cool

I said at least, depends on where they are of course :) I had a 220 in mine but mine was ported.

I'm at 185 on my 65mph e50 polini... It's my goto moped too

The chart posted by Bear Road is for puch polini or for most any kitted e50?

i have a 200 in my mukini right now what where should my clip on my needle be? also any word if my timing is correct?

get a timing light and check it yourself?

i have a timing light i was just wondering if where im timed to is a good spot

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Ya'll are mad. 1.8-2mm BTDC is money on a polini. They can run a little hotter if you build them right and will run for miles with great power. I was taught by a large group that ripped around on Polinis for years set like this and they (and myself) have had great results. I've got 2 that have run thousands of trouble free miles at high advance. Building it right is the key.

Start with the timing and adjust everything accordingly. Its not rocket science. Remember that an intake won't sit flat on the cylinder without some leveling. So if you start with an air leak (which I'd wager 90% of MA has) compensating timing/jetting will never be the answer. It will still explode.

mine had 0 air leaks (after I fixed them all), ran great @ 1.1-1.2mm BTDC. different strokes for different folks but i'd never run that high of timing on a puch polini kit.

Probably Fred /

Not for points ^^ timing

Electronic ignition yes.

Many factors. Old casting polini kits were better, Low elevation like sea level is great for engines too.

As your kit gets more miles on it it can take more heat so you can add more timing.

Just experiment and do what works for you

I ran 1.1-1.2 on points and 1.2-1.3 on cdi

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

My point is that there is more power waiting. Rock it!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account