103 CDI's: Millenium vs. Premium

Does anybody have a recommendation between the two of them? Is the premium that much better? I know the internal rotor makes a good increase in low end on a single speed like an e50, but i feel like the extra rotating mass would help you on a variated bike. especially if you have an aggressively tuned clutch. is this wrong? is the internal rotor just always better? i mean, expensiver is better right?????

Re: 103 CDI's: Millenium vs. Premium

you tell me..i'm tryin a millenium in two days.then i'll tell you.

cool, dude. keep me posted. what have you run in the past? just stock points?

Well I heard from mike beez that whichever one you run you have to make sure to get the right taper and set the timing around .8mm BTDC

Cool! Great tip! If you want it to fit, get the right taper. Check.

Hmmm. But does anybody know the differences in the two cdis that I mentioned above? Aside from the obvious differences, that you can see. I think I'm starting to lean towards the millenium just because it's cheaper. I'm guessing the box is the same so aside from the flywheel, performance should be pretty similar.

Mikebeez says the boxes are the same.

And the boxes suck: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2906655

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Supposedly the mvt internal rotors (i.e. millenium and digital direct) are purely for racing. They have weird undocumented curves and change timing at idle because of that (from what I've read/understood). Since you don't idle while you're racing, it will obviously give negative results. It's been posted before on MA from the people who now have expensive paper weights for cdi's.

The premium does have a curve and you can also buy (import) a programmable cdi box for them. They also tend to die randomly if not used properly.

EDIT:

Mars posted the thread, thanks (edited)

Jonathan Ackerman /

I have both and both have worked for me. My Millenium came without the marker on the stator to set timing which confused the hell out of me for about a week until someone sent me pics of theirs. Also the way the wires are mounted on the stator of the millenium cause the flywheel to rub on them. I think that this is going to eventually kill the stator.

My premium bolted on kind of easier and has been working great since.

I say kind of easier because both were a pain in the ass to get on (like everything peugeot i have owned) but in different ways. I think it was the millenium that needed a 5 coil stator plate to mount on to and I had to search to find one. The premium's flywheel just slightly hit my case so i had to grind down the case to make it work.

You are correct about the mounting plate for the millennium. If you go millennium, there is a 5 coil mounting plate for sell on ebay. You will need to modify it a little to make sure you have proper clearances. Key things to look for in regards to clearances are around the center hole where the crank and flywheel center piece goes through, as well as the back side of the stator where the wires feed out. There are different syles of 5 coil mounting plates. I have a two bolt one that needed a ridge of the mounting plate to be rounded off so that it didn't cut/wear on the wires feeding from the stator.

After all my troubles dealing with this CDI, I just went back to 5 coil points.

POWER IN THE POINTS! and a hell of lot cheaper to fix.

Man. What a bummer. I guess that's what I get for not thoroughly researching my parts before ordering. I still have a working 5 coil points stator, so I can always fall back to that. My millenium should be here this week sometime. Maybe I'll get lucky and mine will work flawlessly. After I get a mounting plate and grind it so it fits. I don't know why I thought buying all new parts meant they were going to work together better than the old parts I already have.

Best way to go for Peugeot is 5 coil points. If you really want a CDI then search for a Ducati CDI which are now vintage parts so good luck with that, or search in France for a super sweet used Moplat. Either one of those will run you $300+ though.

I have tried many ignition setups on a pug and if not for getting a Ducati then I would still be running the 5 coil points or at least the 2 coil points. Fuck MVT! They blast crazy fast and then die for no reason right when you need it to work.

after all the trouble of getting the millenium mounted,and timed , I went back to 2 coil points, cuz the millenium had weak to none lighting power so no night riding! It did run good though,and added a few more revs to my set up.

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Mel Dyer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> after all the trouble of getting the millenium

> mounted,and timed , I went back to 2 coil points,

> cuz the millenium had weak to none lighting power

> so no night riding! It did run good though,and

> added a few more revs to my set up.

That's because they are really meant to just power a water pump

what are you up to hashmonster? send me some noodzzz of what your working on.

Ohhh, I suppose I can send some party pics...

Johno!

Points agreed! Power in the points!

only if you used the puch bosch .. stuff! lets get it .. right :)

why would i want austrian parts on my french ped? peugeot 5 coil hands down best moped ignition ever.

johno roberts Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> why would i want austrian parts on my french ped?

> peugeot 5 coil hands down best moped ignition

> ever.

you two.. are funny .. hehe

ok, ya, germany makes shit parts for sure, you know that isn't true.

I am talking about old school 2 coil dog shit.. hmm good.

5 coil, is sweet like the group, me and french bike broken upa while back. what a slut. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account