za50 gearing

i just rebuilt my first za50 2 speed, race crank, race clutchs, extra stiff (race version shift dampers ) 70cc Athena AJH, ported, home made dual reeds 19mm Dellorto PHBG, stock gearing, 10w/40w transoil

proma grand prix pipe.

This baby flys, beats all my e50s, 0-30 in seconds, then 2nd gear kicks in all most poping a wheelie as it up shifts, 45mph +, it just keeps pulling and that's up hills, been over taken loads of local youth on there scooters, fucking wicked,

but i need some help with me gearing im not happy with my up shifting it seems to realy have rev out before it changers gear 25-30mph ( a bit to late and not as smooth as i would like) no problom down shifting,

i know you guys run 20/21 front sporkets, what rear sporket would you use, 40/45 mph top speed is more than enough, would much like to use all the power /touge for even more pullaway speed. or shall i just change me oill back to ATF? havent tried it yet.

Re: za50 gearing

You could do some lighter springs on your second gear clutch to make it shift without revving out all the way. I like running 20x36 on ZAs. Still has good takeoff, better top speed, and first gear takes you over 30mph without revving too high.

Overpriced Parts /

You will explode your clutches, gears with low gearing .

Gear at least 20x35.

Sounds to me that you could pull 21x36 easy

all this ZA50 talk is making me want one!

He's got the treats clutches... I know there were some problems with them, but aren't they better than stock for strength?

Joey Hagins Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> all this ZA50 talk is making me want one!

Overpriced Parts /

The video showes Z50^^ not za50

daaaaaang. i know what i'm building next.

ken, if i tould you what i was jetted at you will fant mate, im running a 19mm phbg and right now i have just come down from a 75 to a 72 jet, plug looks good man, ber in mined i live in the damp wet uk, but even so.

yes i am running the treats after market clutches, and there cranks, and yes i did have promblms with there cranks and shimming, pluss the bindding issures as well, you just have to work it out, dont get over streesed of the shimming as i found i didnt need to shim with the aftermarket crank, to the guy how PMed me, you best bet would be to keep your crank and try and replace just the conrod, thats what im going to do.

ken, im going to order them sporkets right now, was hoping you would say that, your the pro on theres za50s mate.

going to strap a soild state cdi on it as well now.

pics

002.JPG

21X35. You won't regret it.

Well I heard from mike beez that 20-35 is great.

Just changed me gearing from 18x40 (stock) to 20x35 as suggested buy a lot of you za50 guys, well all i can say it sucks on my set up real bad, in fact im pissed off now, i got to buy a new chain to put my old gearing back on.

with my old set up after market clutches and exter stiff dampers, i was hiting about 25-30, before bilping the throttle, then i would up shift. I had excellent take of all most front wheel leaving the ground, now with the gear change im revving out as soon as i take off wich is much slower and continue to rev out for the fist 20mph or so in fact i poped a reed wich i think was due to the over revving, bike is smother in 2nd gear but lost all my pull. Think im going to replace rear sporoket back to stock 40t keep the 20 on front and see what happens, i want my pull away back, if that dont give me what i want, i will stick with stock gearing and change me oil over to ATF got a feeling that might help abit with me gear changers.

Overpriced Parts /

Sorry gearing don't work for you. higher gear doesn't help with take off just help keep you from blowing up your engine that's all.

You may have other issues too. You could have damage from sucking a reed or clutch problems already.

With 20x35 gears sometimes I hit 35mph in first on several bikes for many years and never blew a reed but mine arn't homemade either

A za50 wheelie machine though fun just doesn't last long

A Estroil/circuit pipe can help with higher gearing

Well experiment and do what makes you happy and let us know

Thanks for the input Ken, i recken my aftermarkt clutchs are good, but will be replacing reeds in the moring (UK), my bike has so much toque that i recken 20x40 will be good, with that 35t on the back wheel it was just revving out, pretty much all through first gear. if 20x40 dont give me what i want, then ill go back to 18x40 stop using transoil, stick ATF in, as 2nd clutch does seem to slip to well, thus making 1st over rev, if dont help i will change my 2nd cluth springs.

I will get ther in the end, even so its a nice thing to have a bike after a rebuild with all aftermakt stuff going well from the start, great turning protential. will keep you up dated.

Overpriced Parts /

Oh your in uk I understand now

See where I live is kinda in the country. There is mostly 50-55 mph (like 90 km) roads here. You have to have a bike with long legs. You must be city folk with slower roads that's why you can get a way with short gearing.

20 or so minutes without many stops of full throttle @ 55 mph like I do and

I'n sure you would boom with stock gears riding out here.

Ya gear to where you live. 0-20w synthetic oil works better then type f tranny fluid or 10-40w

right, have change my rear gearing back to 40t front is kept at 20t, and i can say i now have a 50mph cruiser at half throttle, take of is very much the same as 18x40 but with out the front wheel leaving the ground now, which is much better all the power going stright to the back wheel as it should do.

still same issures with clutchs (aftermaket) using ATF oill , in fact unlike my e50 i cant tell the diffence at all with the slip from using transoill to ATF, still revving out about 25-28mph, 2nd gear clutch sliping when first is revved out, looks like i will have to change the 2nd gear clutch springs, how every with ATF when i blip the throttle at around 25-30mph 2nd gear clutch grips much better than when using ATF, which is desirable. will ride bike next few weeks then decide on changing springs.

In the mean time back to my e50 high RPM set up im trying to build, enginge all built, just tuning time, (pipe carb gearing etc)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account