Damage Alert for A55 Owners in the Clutch assembly!

The first time I took my clutch side cover off I noticed a lot of metal in the oil and thought this was totally normal break in Wear & Tear. About the 3rd time I went in and the metal deposits where still contuning I took off the clutch bell and saw where a Small bit of steel had gotten between the Bell and the Clutch shoes and gouged the Bell. I cleaned all of this up and put everything back together. About 200 miles later when 1st gear engagement point was just too high I took everything apart again last night to notch the Shoes and I found the problem.

"The Internal Starr Washer behind the 17 MM Nut that holds the Clutch Assembly on the crank shaft had all but 2 teeth GONE! about 6 of those little teeth that are supposed to aid in holding the nut in place had all broke off. My strongest suggestion is the next time you are in there Remove that washer and Replace it with one made either in the USA or Japan. "DO NOT USE ONE MADE IN CHINA"

The material used almost felt like it was aluminun it was so poor a grade of metal.

Re: Damage Alert for A55 Owners in the Clutch assembly!

John Joedicke /

Thats not stock, who installed that. Torque the nut!

you dont need it just a nice washer is fine

carl jepsen /

those came stock

when I ordered parts I got split washers instead, so either tomos went to split washers or the guy who sent them to me is a pal. Possibly a change tomos made, like reversing the first gear clutch shoes and a zillion other things

I would use split washers or belleville washers, never those star washers, they are junk

those shitty things are all over the a55's, they use them everywhere from the fenders to the exhaust. wouldn't surprise me to find them in the engine.

I bought the Bike Brand New and what there when it came in and was assembled! AT about 20 miles I saw that there was regular Oil in the trans and pulled off the side cover the 1st time and saw the Metal and changed to Auto Trans Fluid. aqt about 100 miels I pulled the cover again and saw so much metal I stopped using the Auto Trans fluid and tried the "Mixture of Gear Oil and Auto trans fluid. I did not like that either and started using Motul E-Tech 100 10 w 40 and when I took the clutch apart for the first time that is when I saw the star washer.

The Blow up Pic of the engine shows a "Split Washer"! When I put mine back together this time I used a thick Flat washer and the Impact Gun so it is torqued to about 20 to 25 pound feet of Torque. I need to either buy or make some kind of Holding tool so I can torque the Clutch "Exactly"!

The cheapest tool fire that purpose is a piston stop.

carl jepsen /

more like a piece of rope

Jake P Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The cheapest tool fire that purpose is a piston

> stop.

I do not like stresing the Needle Bearings of the Con Rod. The last time I use a large Flat Blade Screwdriver between the First Gears but do not care for that either!My thought was there had to be a Tool that fit in 2 or 3 of the Openings of the clutch assembly to hold it in place!

Yep, it's a factory tool that you probably won't find. Make one or use a piston stop. I'm pretty sure the needle bearings see way more force from the piston turning at 11,000 RPM than 25-ish ft-lbs from a torque wrench.

carl jepsen /

strap wrench

. , Wrote:

> strap wrench

A Strap Wrench around WHAT?? The Clutch turns INSIDE the Bell and the clearance is too small to fit a wrench. If I wanted to spend the time to remove the Dyno Cover I could easily hold it,

Easier thing than all that is to use an air or electric impact wrench

Deadped Ryan Wrote:

> Easier thing than all that is to use an air or

> electric impact wrench

That IS what I do but no way to know the exact torque!!

carl jepsen /

yeah the strap wrench takes it off, it doesn't put it back on. Plus it would screw up the drum, so don't do that that bad idea

better just to make the special tool that locks into the clutch segments

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

Use a flywheel holder if you're afraid of piston stops.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account