Kit break in and WOT

curious to know how people define "WOT" during a break in. I'm taking all the proper precautions and right steps to break it in properly(50cc Kstar w/high comp head), however i know you should avoid/gradually work up to full speed WOT in small steps, but does this also apply to full throttle at lower speeds? Mainly for taking off from a stop.

i.e. throttle full open to accelerate from a stop light to reach cruising speeds in the city, then easing off and normal running operation for kit break in.

Re: Kit break in and WOT

Don't worry so much about wide open. People really mean that you shouldn't ride it at the same throttle position for a long period of time. The worst thing you could do is get up to top speed and hold the throttle as wide as it will go for a long time.

-Aron

thats kind of what I assumed. i know any throttle position held for 10+ seconds during a break in is a bad idea.. so i guess this applies at any speed etc. I lime to do shit right,, so im going through the long annoying process of a 300+ mile break in.

Is it best to keep rides shorter for break in, on average I'm going out for 10-20 mile rides every evening/night during break in process, not exceeding 30mph, varying throttle position etc etc. and hardly ever breaking 300degrees.

(mixed and jetted rich as well)

Is it that OK? or is it better to ride less and let engine cool.?

Extra oil and you will be fine riding like you normally do. Aluminum cylinders will break in much much much faster then a cast iron or steel or whatever the stock one is. If you've gone through the basic few steps of jetting and plug chops, then you can pretty much ride it hard after a couple days. Just vary the RPM's for a while. keep the temp down, but you dont want to break in to slow either. Get a full range at various speeds.

Overpriced Parts /

Your doing fine . I've rode 50 miles in a few hrs where I live and in a week it was all broke in.

Don't think of it as a pain just ride and enjoy the sights

so for the 50cc Kstar 50ish miles of break-in is about enough?

what the issue with "breaking in too slow" ?????

and below 400degrees is ideal right?

Overpriced Parts /

50 miles a day for 300 miles

In one week all done

ahhhhh, now I see..

Yup, its generally good to keep a ped under 400 at all times, but especially during break in. I have heard that being too easy on it or using synthetic oil wont allow it to break in well enough so you have a higher chance of seizing later. IDK for sure, but its not an exact science.

It's also best to allow your engine to warm up before blasting, don't start it and rev to 12k immediately or by by rings.

There is also the theory of

"Build it right, build it once"

I'm surprised no one chimed in with that one.

-Aron

I never break in my kits and have no issues. The only thing I do is heat cycle 3 times and then I blast WOT for days.

SkUG SkUGosarus /

is it best to avoid steep hills for the initial break in?

(I live on top of a steep hill, about 2 miles from the sea, about a mile high)

curious why "going to easy" is bad for break in???

Overpriced Parts /

You got a better chance of failure without a break in .

Do not listen to people with a few years of 2 stroke experience say its not needed . It's just as needed as as any part of a build especially with aluminum cylinders/cast pistons.

I even break in the kits of a bike I'm selling .

50 some kits and no real problems cause I'm anal about break in.

Good long break in helps the kit take more heat and that's a fact.

Allowing the parts to wear in is just smart .

All moped manufactures had break in periods

Tomos Mopeds still have a 500 km break in period .

The more hi performance the more a break in is needed

If your jetting and timing is off a little on a well broke in engine you got a better chance of correcting it before you seize.

Do what you feel is correct don't worry what peeps say

large jet, i have a 98,open the bitch up then let off and cruise 30, open it up again and again, keep it under 400

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account