how to pack a maxi like a mule?

I've been doing some super long rides and I'm about to ride the beast west till it dies.

It's a maxi without any og racks or anything and a crossbar.

I always see duders with awesome side baskets and I was just wondering where the hell you get them. I've checked out all the bike shops in my area and that shit is like $20 online. Also how are you mounting it? I'm sure I can figure it out myself but I'd like to hear some good ideas anyhow.

Also anyone ever made a decent front basket? I was just gonna string some wire around my antlers but that can only hold the newborn I'm bringing.

Re: how to pack a maxi like a mule?

also I got a low ridin' 1.5 freespirit seat and my bars are high

Theirs got to be a better way to transport heroin in your bum hole than riding a moped across the country.

"I'm about to ride the beast west till it dies."

ha that's awesome.

personally, i'd just hit up a goodwill and get as many fanny packs as possible. clip those bad boys to the frame and off you go.

Craig Perrin /

Or one of those trailer type child carriers stripped down to the frame

those things get wacky at about 20 mph. i think you really need a one wheel trailer with a better hitch to go properly fast.

this gives me a good chuckle, very mule like indeed

this is the best hahaha

dayumn y'all really loaded up. I just need some side baskets for my grocery bags o' lube

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

@ Graham

First time I've ever seen you write something incorrect. I've used striped down kiddie trailers, for years, at 35+ MPH with no wobbles, provided they were weighted with some tongue weight.=, just like you would do with any trailer. I would certainly plan a long trip with a trailer, in fact prolly wouldn't plan a trip without one. It's so normal for me to use one I don't ever think about it any more, like for the last 7 years.

Craig Perrin /

There are some pretty neat ideas on Instructables.com for DIY bike trailers. Mostly involve conduit and hacked up kid bikes.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7194/hobbitbabytrailerhouse.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1250/hobbitmount.jpg

I had a 80lb kid in there and it was bouncing around pretty wildly. Plus he also said it smelled 'smokey' but 'thats its alright' ;P

When there was no dying child it didn't bounce, its been a while though so I am not sure how fast I could've gone with it.

really easy to connect though. one bolt!

Christian Giron /

Last time, I traded my maxi in for a mule. Figured why fuck around and just get the real thing? (edited)

i welded book racks to the tanks, to the front fenders, Deff run better suspension, we used magnum front ends, and go cart shocks.

magnum rear racks

Craig Perrin /

How much weight you got on there and how's the handling affected?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account