Peugeot TSM, which variator should I get

I am setting up my tsm with a malossi case, malossi 70cc top end, hi comp head and phbg 21. That Much I know.

I am trying to sort out which variator set up to run on this. I am considering the doppler er3 or the Malossi Vario Top.

I have questions about the advantage or disadvantage of running a variator that is clutched vs running a non clutch vario with a clutched pulley. If you are running either setup can you please give me and idea of what the advantage is over the other. Also I am familiar with tuning the TJT variators, what is the process for tuning these ones.

thanks, I will put up pictures as I get into it.

Re: Peugeot TSM, which variator should I get

variotop seems the most popular as im told it has the biggest range. but im new to vario bikes I have a tsm also and the thing needs modded

Well let's figure this shit out! If you find any good info or links pass it on to me. Are you running all stock right now?

running would be a stretch but yes the bike is stock.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=variotop+peugeot

If you want to get radical, which it sounds like you do, go er3 and clutch pulley

any of the doppler variators "with clutch function" need jacking around with a hunk of cardboard to get started unless you have a kickstarter. not sure how complicated the starting procedure gets with a variotop.

basically, if you are ready to go big, if you are ready to pony up the cash for the full doppler monty, nothing compares to it, nothing compares to you--with it.

what anout the rgd?

@Noel, you're thinking the Motobecane versions. The Peugeot ER3 variators with clutch function can be started and idle just fine with stock pulley and pedals or whatever.

haha wrong post, er3 ftw though.

All right starting to get some feed back here. I was wondering what that cardboard trick was all about. Anybody running the er3 with clutch pulley could chime in on this would be awesome.

Tyler Brekke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

sick pug setup loool

No need for cardboard trick on a Pug. If you are doing your first frenchy bike build go with a clutch functioning er3 or er2. Stay away from the broken dreams machine that is a clutch pulley. Clutch pulleys make you fast as hell and ner unridable in a group unless you are very practiced or a wizard.

I swear...the variotop just goes right on, no B.S.'n around.

Brings the top speed way up, right away.

I use the big red engine return spring, doppler i think, and heaviest weights.

But that is a 70cc polini.

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

The cardboard trick for the non-clutch er3 works like so:

1) take cardboard and jam it between the moving cheek of the variator and the weights. This causes the variator to be in a higher gear when starting.

2) Bump or pedal the bike to start, it becomes easier to move because of the cardboard causing the "shifting gear"

3) Once started, rev high to let the card board release itself from the variator, don't poke an eye out.

IMHO do the malossi variator...

Salsa Salsa /

you should get these wheels and this pulley!

Garelli Team nintendo mags!

Salsa Salsa /

Fuck yeah. They are so fucking rad

jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

> I swear...the variotop just goes right on, no

> B.S.'n around.

>

> Brings the top speed way up, right away.

>

> I use the big red engine return spring, doppler i

> think, and heaviest weights.

>

> But that is a 70cc polini.

So I take it you have found troubles installing the ER3? Also with the Malossi are you running a clutched vario or clutched pulley. Some said earlier on the thread that the clutch pulley setup was harder to ride? Not sure why that would be.

The clutch version of the ER3 is the easiest to work on and deal with. They seem to work better than the Variotop, and you don't have to take them apart to change weights. The clutch pulley is hard to setup but it requires more work and parts. It does make the bike hard to ride slow because you pretty much live in the powerband all the time. So in traffic around town you have to pin the motor to move 5 feet.

Alright, now we are getting some info from somebody who has owned one. Thank you for chiming in here. Now It sounds like the springs on the variated doppler pulley are pretty strong right? That is what makes it engage at a higher rpm correct. If so can you get different springs to make it more drivable say at lower rpms? I would like to be able to get my TSM to launch pretty hard off the line if possible. Right now I have the Honda Hobbit that has 1500rpm springs and it launches like a beast. Would like to get similar performance from the peugeot if possible.

You would have to run a clutch pulley. You just can't get that kind of launch out of a stock clutch setup. You can stack 3 of the star springs in there, remove 4 balls, and put in a reinforced friction disk and it's still not going to be the same. You can find different springs for the Doppler pulley but it's not a standard size so you have to look around a bit. It's all about what you want and how much you want to spend.

I own an er3 and clutch pulley setup, trust me when I say it's not the greatest thing. For a race bike it is ok but you'd want something like a bidalot variator for racing.

For street, you'd be fine with the er3 + clutch pulley if you want to launch better than your hobbit. Jesse is also right when he says don't use the stock clutch, it won't work and you'd also run into issues with variator tuning.

BTW, you'd also want to upgrade your spring or use a lever to compensate for the quick variation you'll gain.

my bad on suggesting you need cardboard with the clutched er3 on a peugeot, i only saw moby people use that and heard it was the same for all french bikes. in that case, clutch pulleys are serious moped business. don't expect to be able to ride your moped drunk anymore--or in traffic. the polini spring does wonders for acceleration; making the bike really turn some rpms before variating, especially when matched with light weights. doubling or tripling the star spring is another awesome way to let the bike get higher into it's power band before engaging and and as far as i know can still be used with the doppler variator. the major drawback is that the stock peugeot clutch either is engaged or not, there is no slipping. so it will rev a good amount and then all of the sudden catch wich doesn't give you the smooth linear take off of a clutch pulley or tuned wet clutch like a puch.

bottom line, find someone with a clutch pulley, ride their bike, never go back

Jonathan Ackerman /

I just want to say that noel and maize are right.

I have a er3 and a clutch pulley and it's awesome. It's crazy off the line and I've had to change my rear sprocket to keep it from trying to wheelie every time i accelerate.

I've been curious about the variotop and haven't met anyone who had one. I think that the complaint about having to take it apart to change weights is silly because everything on your moped is difficult to change and that's just how it is. I haven't changed the weights on my er3 since i got it how i like it.

clutch pulleys are bad ass and peugeots are awesome and loud as hell

Question....

I have both the doppler clutch pulley and the mY-kitech pulley...waiting for the right project.

I have the non-clutch function variotop waiting as well...

If I used a pulley and that variotop, How do I pedal start my bike?

I'm currently using..

polini 70cc-hi-comp head-16mm-simonini mid-low pipe

doppler red spring 220mm, clutched version of variotop with 4 balls-or 3, 3 spring stars, a decent clutch disc.

This setup moves out great...it's my little dirt-ped.

I'm gonna be adding the 21mm...and bringing it up to the Cherry Valley races.

If i add the 21mm, My-Kitech and clutchless variotop.

This is gonna be a serious beast and probly only tame on the track, huh.

...and, how would I start it.

it's not that hard to take apart -variotop-, but I just adjust the tension on my spring.

jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

> If I used a pulley and that variotop, How do I

> pedal start my bike?

Bump start? If your compression is ridiculously high (seeing as you are using a 70cc kit it probably is), you might want to lift the bike up and pull the tire yourself until it starts. The last alternative is use a kickstart unit if you could ever find one. BTW, missed you at the races :(

On topic, 50cc racers use the malossi variotop and it seems to work fine for them...

i use de-comp, so i guess no troubles then....

@JohnnyDoube Where did you get that Mykitech pulley? I would be interested in buying that off you if you decide not to use it. Yeah I am still a little confused myself about how the thing is going to start though if the clutch is in the pulley, I would like to be able to push start at least and being able to pedal start would be ideal.

2 years ago went on a spending spree......hoarded stuff for later.. . ..now's later.

One of my pug or moby's will get that and the doppler clutch pulley eventually.

You can still start it without a decomp. My race bike just requires me to sit on it and move forward a foot or two...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account