Hobbit Wizard Kit pings a lot!

So I just installed this thing two days ago. I would have preferred to go with an iron Malossi, Polini, or DR but someone offered me a trade for a part I had for sale so I figured what the heck; give it a shot.

It's running reasonably well. No low end power at all, but I'm still running stock clutch springs and variator weights.

The problem is the noise! Anything under maybe 5k RPM and it pings and has a high-pitch chime. My timing is stock and I'm only at 130 PSI compression (my head is cut for low comp at the moment in an attempt to do away with the ping... this was before I actually tested the compression). I have the proper base gasket spacer installed and the necessary material taken off the top of the cylinder to get port timing correct and all.

So the question is, is this just how these kits sound? I may try some fin dampers to see if that helps, but when riding I've tried jamming my sneakers on the fins and it seems to make no difference.

Re: Hobbit Wizard Kit pings a lot!

you might be hearing the ringing from the fins of the cylinder and the head.. need rubber in there like the gila's maybe. Just a thought.

That's what I'm hoping! Time to rig some jacked up dampener.

Maybe clearances are just out of whack...

Very possible.

Does it sound at all like piston slap but more ringy?

Your piston is going to explode ! Remove and replace it with a quality piston before it takes the cylinder out with it .

I have a DR piston that I could throw in... So I sort of read through that other Wizard kit thread but it was full of so much garble that it was hard to get anything out of it. Is there some basis for that claim, Rick?

JBOT, it does actually sound like that. What's the story?

i feel like alotta aluminum kits just sound like loudness sometimes

It's fucked clearances.

Too much room and the piston whacks the bore.

Then the ring is from the big fins chiming.

No big deal, as long as the piston holds together.

If not, well.....kaboom.

I get similar sounds on my Vespa which was soft seized pretty hard, and the piston had to be sanded down ( out of tolerance piston to bore clearance)

Very "chingy", but nothing bad has happened yet...

Interesting, so the piston is too small?

Mine was on the loose side too . The piston is just junk . Shitty cast from shitty aluminum , not machined at all . too big of cutouts for that quality material . By far the most poopy piston I've ever seen . I know it would break at the skirt , and it did . They all do sooner or later . Most , sooner . Like less then 500 miles .

IMAG0736.jpg
IMAG0735.jpg
IMAG0733.jpg

Hmm, that doesn't look like my piston. Mine doesn't have the cutouts in front of the wrist pin, and it definitely was machined. I'll probably pull the cylinder in the next few days just to take a look at things and I'll snap some pictures when I do. In the meantime, I'l jamming some bits of 3/8" radiator hose between every other fin and see how that does.

The piston in the cylinder was a DR piston.

Hi Nam! Well that explains that!

Nope . Not a DR piston . WIZZARD PISTON . As treats says the new ones don't have the boost ports in them so you have a new style piston . Measure it and the bore . Nam , are you sauna you put his wizzard kit together with a DR piston ? That may be the case/problem ?

She was the previous owner, so I would imagine she knows :)

Same bore size the DR and wizard. I see no problem with it.

Yep, checked the ring gap before installing and it was perfect.

Cast iron prob soaks up a lot of the noise and vibrations. I remember my v1 polini being very quiet compared to my hobbit. Believe it or not the wizard kit had better casting than the Athena hobbit cylinder and had bigger exhaust port with more duration too. Only problem is the stock piston.

Are rings made for an iron kit same composition as one for an aluminium Chrome bore ? Hmmmmm?

My Wizard pistons seemed to be made of pot metal. Both times failures were piston explosions. Sounds like Nam learned form my mistakes though, so Mars' issue might just be his Wizard is a loud piece of shit like mine is. Still goes like stinky tho!

I belive the wizzard kit has a most excellent cylinder ! But the lifting is complete shit ! Not the design , just the execution . Made very poorly of shitty materials . The jug actually is very similar to the $200 parma which is the best imo . Porting is almost exactly the same . So you could buy a wizzard and a parmakit piston and still be ahead of the game . Too bad they.are out of stock . Meteor pistons ftw .

From personal experience.

Wizard kit is awesome porting BUT

Piston is made of fragile. Travis had his BLOWTHEFUCKUP on the track. It was puked all over the place. Shredded. It's made so light it just shattered. I've heard of it happening with more than just his as well.

The port timing is all off. - Pull off your pipe and lay down under the bike and turn the flywheel. Now check out how the piston never allows the exhaust port to fully open. Hmmmm? What's up with that? Yep. You need a fat ass base gasket to get around that nonsense. Then your compression is toast. Hmmmm...

Believe it or not the famed , and most expensive parmakit is the same way .. you have to use a spacer and two gaskets to get it Just right . The compression loss is made up by simply decking the top of the cylinder down . You can also use a high comp. , or milled stock head . The parmakit and wizzard kits are twins . Wizzzard is a clone imo .

Yep, Nam decked the cylinder and sent a spacer!

Top skirt of the piston ate shit; and that was the DR piston. Cylinder is unscathed.

interesting...

Typical DR piston . Weak at the top , too big of boost port . Two smaller are better then one . It's bridged anyways .

Salsa Salsa /

Thread jack bitch!

My polini is doing this. Shit rings. Sounds like a string instument. Sometimes after riding above 50 for a couple of minutes its such a freq that I think body is going to start oozing from my holes.

My old polini didn't do this. But my new one does, and a friends new one does as well.

Possible simular issues?

Sounded like the Dr piston cracked and ate shit . You got two holes in your piston , right? Rpms? Rattle when Hott ? Not when not ? Or all the time ?

(Casserollers) ∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thread jack bitch!

>

> My polini is doing this. Shit rings. Sounds like a

> string instument. Sometimes after riding above 50

> for a couple of minutes its such a freq that I

> think body is going to start oozing from my holes.

>

>

> My old polini didn't do this. But my new one does,

> and a friends new one does as well.

>

> Possible simular issues?

sounds like your fins are singing

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account