Is my V1 Polini ok? see pic

Steve Aldermann /

First off this is my first kit and I am relatively new to mopeds (I've had my motron medalist for about a year). I decided to try a kit and went with the polini since all the threads I read said it was relatively forgiving/simple for new guys.

I'm using it with a puch treats pipe and a 19 mm phbg and stock head. Currently I'm at a 88 main jet (just barely fourstroking), 40 idle, W7 needle 2nd leanest. Timing is at 20 degrees btdc, and 10X40 gearing.

I haven't been able to run it much (5-10 miles total), because it gets hot fast and I'm trying my best to make sure it doesn't seize. It's gotten up to 380 degrees twice. I've checked for air leaks, can't seem to find any.

I decided to take the top end back off to inspect things and I noticed that the crosshatching is gone already where ever the rings ride and that both the cylinder and piston have light lines in them that if you can just barely feel in you really dig you nail in as you go across them. A photo is attached (sorry not good with cameras tho). Still, you can see where the cross hatching remains at the top edge of the cylinder where the rings don't reach.

Main thing I want to know is if the cylinder is fine or if that is normal during break in and what may have caused it if not, so I can avoid it in the future. Any other advice is appreciated.

! http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u469/aldermannn/?action=view&current=cylinder1.jpg !

cylinder2.jpg

Re: Is my V1 Polini ok? see pic

Steve Aldermann /

HA, have to laugh at myself too. Even after reading the post on how to imbed pictures I still failed. Sorry guys

380deg isnt too bad... a little hot ... but if you keep riding will your temperatures soar? Look into a mopedfactory head... and a cdi with a curve (pietcard).

Steve Aldermann /

I don't think it would get much hotter, but I'm still in the break-in period so I'm trying to take it easy on it, but its hard to resist the temptation.

Where would I find a mopedfactory head? I see they had them at treats, but no more. Do you think that the compression with the stock head might be adding to the heat issue?

But, you don't think the cylinder looks bad though?

It looks fine to me, if there any high spots that you feel just lightly sand it with real fine sand paper.

looks fine, I run up to 422 when I dont want to look at my temp gauge(bad idea). Are you running your fan?

Steve Aldermann /

I do run my fan, but at least is sounds like the cylinder is fine.

I'll just keep crackin away at it until I get it.

Thanks so far!

Yeah looks fine, wet sand down any high spots with fine sand paper.

Darrell Gabbard /

did you check the ring end gap in the cylinder before you put them on the piston and installed the kit?

Steve Aldermann /

Absolutely, they came gapped at about .018 of an inch.

I'm gonna do a leak down test tomorrow I hope, just to be sure I'm not missing any air leaks.

click the mountain pic. two mountains and a small sun

Paste the http:///www of the picture, if you attach it in a post it will be www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file/53454534/34/534.jpg

and the forum handles the rest

"the works" will eat the alloy off of the iron. To easy. Then .. prep the cylinder.

Ron Chappell /

Do you just spray "The Works" on the rough patch? ...or rub it on with a cloth/scrubby until the alloy is gone? I've not heard of this before but sounds great.

Ron Chappell /

Cyl. doesn't look bad at all to me - the serious portion of the "break-in" should already be done at this point ...as long as you keep an eye on the temp gauge you should be good ...whats the piston look like?

Steve Aldermann /

Did the pressurized leak down test, no leaks, held 6 psi for 20min (I know I didn't have to wait that long, but left it while I made dinner).

I want to do the vacuum leak down test too, but the big suction gun that I got leaks at the air nipple. Once I get it sealed tho, I'll do that as well to be sure.

For reference, do kits usually run hot during the break in? Also, is it possible that the trail tech gauge could be off?

Thanks again

Overpriced Parts /

Run lower timing the temps will go down

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account