NU50 First Start with Kit

Well, I finally put the bike together and did the first start. I bought this bike in barely running condition, so it was pretty cool to see it up and running. I tuned the carb and is starts very easy and idles nicely. It has great power now and quick throttle response.

The bike specs are:

1982 Honda NU50 Urban Express

DR70CC Kit

Weak-Ends Intake

PHBG 21mm Race Carb

Weak-Ends Exhaust

I few problems I noticed are:

1) an air leak, which I initially thought was the exhaust, but now think it is the gasket between the cylinder and the head. The exhaust is very tight and feel air coming between the head. I reused the stock metal gasket. I would to like to put a gasket similar to the cardboard one from the block to cylinder. I'm guessing the head might be a little warped and need to be milled or a thicker gasket installed. Anyone know where can I get a new gasket?

2) The throttle cable is now too short and since I deleted the oil pump, it has an extra cable which is not used anymore. The weak-ends intake stretches the carb a few inches out. I had the line hooked up to the bike, but whenever I tuned all the way to the left, the throttle would go fully open. Where is the best place to get a single throttle cable the right length?

3) I took it for a ride and it has some awesome low end power now up to about 20 mph. I wasn't nailing it (still on break in), but couldn't get any more speed. It was like it scooted to 20 mph then hit a wall. I haven't changed the belt (Ax31), clutch, or the variator weights yet. I'm guessing the problem is with either of those. The belt looked fine upon inspection, but I haven't looked at the weights yet. Any ideas?

I can't wait to drive this thing when it is all working properly, but it needs some further tweaking. I don't know what people were thinking when they say the weak-ends exhaust is quiet. It's about twice as loud as the stock exhaust on throttle. I still think the power is going to be worth it! I am so used to driving a stock NU50 and getting honked at and driven off the road constantly. Now it should be a little easier! Thanks for any help.

Re: NU50 First Start with Kit

It is possible that the CDI is is restricted

It feels like I need more gears. I have to check vin number again and see if it is the Iowa model. There was no decals on the bike so I just assumes it wasn't. These were the only models with a restricted cdi, right? If it is, think this will work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACING-CDI-BOX-HONDA-HOBBIT-CAMINO-NC50-NU50-EXPRESS-PA50II-MOPED-/300704973185?hash=item460369c181&item=300704973185&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I checked the vin and it is not the Iowa model, so the CDI shouldn't be the issue. My guess is the weights or the belt holding me back now.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

AX31? Yes you need a new belt. Stock or BX31.

@Harv not quibbling here just to do it here- but I'm going like 55mph with an AX31. This fine fellow needs to spend some more time working out his throttle cable issues, I think.

I ordered a new cable online with a 90 degree bend at the end and a longer length. Once I dig further into the case I should have a clearer idea what the problem is. I also want to mill the head and solve the air leak. I will post updates. The problem is finding the time to work on it.

I heard the ax31 is a stock equivalent.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

@huckersteve,

D'oh, I was guessing. I know the AX-40 sucks on a Hobbit, so I just thought it would suck on an Urban too.

OK I am having trouble getting 55mph right now actually. The bike is realistically delivering 45 right now (iPhone app numbers) but at TIMES has gone faster. I think it's a matter of being carried along in a pack, not sure. That and again, belt choice. Either way, your bike is improving now but you should be getting into the 40's with your setup properly tuned in, I think.

Big Favor: Do you have any pics of the starter asembly??? I can't get this damn thing figured out.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

By gruffie at 2012-07-26

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account