vespa bravo pipe

About to snag a stock '79 Vespa Bravo. Time for the lady to get a 'ped of her own. From all the research I've done, it seems like a pipe+high flow filter (maybe a 13/13 SHA soon too) can provide some pretty decent performance improvements on an otherwise stock bike. A lot of the pipes on treats and '77 have no reviews. Are the "speedy stock" pipes on treats just as good for a stock cylinder as something like the proma circuit? Or is it worth the extra money?

Re: vespa bravo pipe

proma circuit FTW!!!

Hope this doesn't mean my girlfriend will be faster than me. Maybe I should ride the Bravo and leave her the Moby...

Adam, do you think the Proma is that much better than the speedy stock pipe? It's $50 vs. $99 and I'm on a budget - if I can make 'er break 30 I'll be happy. Also seems like the speedy stock won't have mounting issues. Not against a little creativity if it means mounting a significantly better pipe, but if the performance difference isn't huge why bother

Not sure man....I haven't run a speedy stock pipe...but the Proma circuit is a real expansion pipe with a pretty strong powerband when it hits...no mounting issues besides elongating the hole on the rear mount...very simple.

The speedy stock pipes (like teh sito plus) are pretty nice one a stockish set-up. They allow more on top and maintain good low end.-it is also quieter than the proma or techno wich is night when buzzing through the neighborhood late at night.

the proma is a better performance pipe and would support other upgrades better.

+1 for the speedy pipe.... its surprisingly peppy for stock or small kit and much quieter than circuits. its my preferred vespa pipe for mild performance builds and ive run them on grande bravo and ciao 49 and 60 and 64cc setups.

Good to know guys...thanks!!! I love the LOUD proma....Be Heard...Be Seen.

Thanks for the info doods. Gonna go with the speedy stock + the treats SHA 13/13 party pack for now. Seems like a pretty common upgrade but will post about performance. Bike hits 24 bone stock... If those 2 upgrades make it break 30 I will be happy. Plus the girlfriend likes the quiet purr of the stock exhaust

simon... jet appropriately... if you are keeping stock cylinder, the 13.13 and speedy pipe likes jets around 52~58 on my stock bikes cause you arent reallllly getting 13.13 if you leave the stock motor case intake as is so you dont haaaaave to jet into mid 60's or higher unless you kit also or bore out the intake and kit etc etc

Will do, thanks for the info. Not doing any boring of the intake or kitting... yet

Also the SHA bolts right up to the stock intake right? How come they don't make a bigger intake to match?

the stock intake is molded into the motor case but you can split the motor cases and bore out the intake to true 13 if you really wanna.... i vote no if its a good runner for now. still, yes the 13.13 will fit right onto stock intake neck....you may need a barely thicker plastic shim insert for the 13.13 but the one they ship with usually works just fine.

I have the 1980 vespa grande that is the 25 mph version. a have the stock chrome pipe. I shaved the brass spacer off of the variator. Its now a 30mph bike, but it takes all day to get up to that speed on flat ground. What I am trying to do is get it up to the 30 or 35 MPH range in a reasonable amount of time. It has the 12:12 Dellorto with 49 jet. If I change the main jet to say 52 to 55 and install the Techno speedy stock. I should be able to achieve this 30 to 35 mph within a reasonable amount of time. Does this sound about right? probably the 53 main jet if I had to guess, but someone has already probably tried this set up all ready. the jets probably come in a range though and have to test them out. Does all this make sense and sound about right?

buy the 50-58 jet range and try different jets until you find the one that works best. you may not even need to upjet for just the speedy stock.

since i made this post i have upgraded to the proma circuit and it's night and day. i also notched the variator - with the pipe, carb, milled head and notched variator my 25 mph bravo now does about 35 mph on a flat and gets there in a respectable amount of time. spending the extra $50 on the proma will get you a more appreciable gain in both top end and low end vs. the speedy stock, as long as you dial in the jetting.

otherwise, for more low end torque with stock variator and already shaved bushing the best thing you can do is mill the head. might also help your top end a little. i had mine done by our local moped shop. after much research and a significant but not insane amount of money spent, my bravo is a fun and reliable daily city rider.

YOU MEAN YOU HAD MIKE BIERY WORK ON YOUR MOPED FOR YOU

yeah he's a star pretty much

Adam Pereira Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> proma circuit FTW!!!

Anybody, I have a 79 bravo with the 43mm olympia kit. I recently put on a dellorto 13/13 with hi flow air box and a proma circuit pipe, I ran it with a 66 jet and at high speed I seized. ended up seizing a few times and blew a piston, then put new piston in and seized it 2 times. tore it apart and luckily it is fine. I was running a 66 jet so i up jetted to a 70 but that made it way to rich. Im getting new jets tomorrow, 67, 68, and 69. Could this little jetting make the difference to not seize!!!

I also reset my points yesterday and putting on a new condenser tomorrow.

check for air leaks, run a temp gauge, maybe reduce the point gap slightly from stock (can't retard timing on a vespa except through points without losing the woodruff key) - did you set it to stock points gap? was the kit broken in when you seized it?

The kit is fine, I set the points to .015mm. I will get starter fluid tomorrow and check for air leaks. Today I got 4 new plus so I'm gonna do tests with new jets, I put a post last week. Here it is if it helps with any questions yall might have. Any help is appreciated!!!

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3198483,3198483#msg-3198483

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

yeah, it's harder to dial in the jetting quite right if you have airleaks. the plastic bushing on the 13 SHA doesn't always fit perfectly on the intake so it's hard to get a good seal there sometimes. aftermarket vespa SHAs often don't come with a top gasket which is another pain in the butt but it's easy enough to make one out of some gasket paper if you have an exacto knife.

i'm assuming you meant .015 inches 'cause that would be a real small point gap if it is in fact mm (stock is .45mm, or about .018 in.)

Yea. It is in inches. My kit didn't come with the gasket but I ordered it and it's in. I'm putting motor back in today with new condenser. Jets will be here tomorrow. Got four new plugs so I can check how they look with each jet. I also got a can of starter fluid to check for any leaks. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!

All this siezed engine business really makes me worry about changing my exaust and jets. Its important to start with larger jets when changing up the exaust and jets. Hu? That way I wont have to worry about messing things up.

So I got my man Jon over here and what do you know! He's the shit!!!! My elbow for my spark plug was shorting out. Also my condenser wire was ripped inside the sheathing. We nipped it back about 2 inches and found good wire. Soldered it to a new wire. Plugged that in. Running a 70 jet and a little rich. Gonna get my new ones in the mail tomorrow. Going from there. As of right now its running way freaking better!!!!!!!! Thanks for the time put into this!!!!

Ah...mistaken engine miss for four stroking...then downjet to compensate for shite spark!!...then lean seizure....makes good sense over here... Nice work on the find!! Best to ya!!

you could try putting vasoline on the part where your carb could be leaking air. where the carb goes onto the engine, or some high temp rtv sylicon junk. might melt off the vasoline if it is on the engine to carb part not sure, but have used vasoline on carb parts where I have suspected air getting in though, seemed to work OKAY What are you guys talking about with the top gasket on the Dellorto? Glad I read this thread before i got my speedy exaust so i start with a jet that is bigger than necissary, then work my way down.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account