Monitoring hot running temperatures

Hey guys, I have an idea.

Do you think it would be suitable to apply some kind of oil that has a known smoking point to the cylinder so that, when it gets that hot, it will begin smoking and alert you to the problem?

I don't want to shell out the money for a fancy thermometer so I was thinking of alternatives and I realized oils or other fluids will smoke when they reach a certain temperature.

So, for instance, slathering a head or cylinder's fins down with some canola oil (http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm) and seeing if it smokes for a temperature monitor.

Thoughts?

Re: Monitoring hot running temperatures

Overpriced Parts /

Just spend the 40 bucks for a head temp gauge .

It's cheep insurance.

How can you see smoke at WOT

Mike Piarowski /

Shenanigans!!!!!

I'm going to lather up my bike with butter or olive oil in the morning and see if it smokes after I start it for a few seconds or when I get ripping down the road when my bike temps starts to creep up on me!

Ya its going to smoke but I call BS on you being able to dial it as a temp gauge!

You can make a fairly accurate or at least relative temp gauge out of a digital meat thermometer for less than $10.

Your smoking idea needs to go up in flames.

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

How refined is the oil? All cOoking oils have different smoke temps....

Just slap some eggs on the jug, They should be nicely cooked by the time you get where your going. If the eggs are burnt your running to hot...

Yea yea, alright.

Forget it y'all. Slap this up to a bad idea. Moving onto the 40 temp gauge. I thought they were more like 120 though, so I was looking for cheaper alternatives and 40 is reasonable for sure.

RIP oil smoke temp. monitoring

best 40$ bucks ive ever spent.

seized the same day i ordered it though, go figure...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account